There are newer employer reviews for The Nielsen Company

Nielsen promotes and recognizes employees based on two factors, performance and popularity.

Former Employee - Field Representative  in  Midwest City, OK
Former Employee - Field Representative in Midwest City, OK

I worked at The Nielsen Company full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Freedom to do your job as best you can based on your abilities. Company car and expense account.

Cons

Company does not recognize performance over popularity. If you are part of the club, your job is pretty secure, if not start looking now.

Stay true to your employees. Do not listen to rumours as rumours are usually not true.

1186 Other Employee Reviews for The Nielsen Company (View Most Recent)

Challenging career opportunities

Current Employee - Systems and Operations  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Systems and Operations in Chicago, IL

I have been working at The Nielsen Company full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

People are left to solve problems and design solutions for clients.
    Senior leadership has a good understanding of the industry and communicates the strategy to meet objectives.
    Senior leadership has a wonderful philosophy on supporting the remote work force so the only people who understand their jobs and work independently can work from home. The people who show up at the office are typically those who don't have much real work, so going to the office in and of itself becomes the 'job'.

Cons

Nielsen is a process heavy company where often content is the problem. It is not realistic to think you can achieve a solution through project management when the people on the project do not understand the problem.
    We have some fundamental problems in our core factory that need to be addressed to achieve long term objectives. At some point, we need to make the investment and fix the problems. When we do, we will be far more capable of meeting our client objectives and drive significant long term profitability.

Senior leadership has fallen into the trap of 'outsourcing' as a solution in and of itself. The problem is that you can't expect an outside organization to solve problems senior leadership does not fully understand.
    See the point above under cons. Make the investment to fix problems in our core data factory and reap long term gains.
    In the question below on Dave Calhoun, I'll vote thumbs down because he runs the company for short term profitability. He also relies a lot on Mitchell Habib for advice. See my point above under cons. Mitchell wants to throw millions of dollars at outside consulting companies to solve problems they do not comprehend. Cut the spending to consultants and let the employess who understand the problem work out the solution.

Ugly

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager  in  Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at The Nielsen Company full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great employees. Hard working employees keep the company going dispite poor management.

Cons

Poor Senior Management. COO airplane landed in India and he acted like an ugly American when a car was not on the tarmack to drive him to his hotel. Felt it was beneath him to have to go through security.

Instead of brining in outsiders who know nothing about the company use people who have stood the test of time. People from GE and CITI Bank who only know how to save money but don't know how to make money are not the solution to your problems.

There are newer employer reviews for The Nielsen Company

Worked for The Nielsen Company? Contribute to the Community!