The Nielsen Company

www.nielsen.com

Nielsen is a great place to work, but it depends entirely on your role

Current Employee - Associate Client Director  in  New York, NY
Current Employee - Associate Client Director in New York, NY

Pros

SO MUCH OPPORTUNITY across the "watch and buy" (media and consumer) sides of the business. HR actually encourages rotation through the company, so I always felt that I had the option of asking to do something completely different and no one would hold that against me. I was lucky to have extremely talented team leaders to work under, which can make or break your experience with Nielsen. Policy of "meritocracy" rewards high performers, which provides a lot of incentive to do you best every day and is a practice I strongly believe in.

Cons

Too much focus on cost savings - case in point: the TCS relationship. Outsourcing basic client service duties to a country that does not have the same market environment as the US is a much bigger issue than senior management would like to believe. Benefits package (mostly medical) are great, but compensation is the number one reason why people leave Nielsen to go outside - and it's part of the reason I left myself. Work/life balance depends on your role as well - I was on a very demanding client and didn't have a great balance, but I know many other people who would tout work/life as Nielsen's #1 pro.

Salaries are below the industry average - make sure this is fixed in the near future or all of your employees are going to be working for your competition. Take an honest look at the TCS partnership and ask yourself if this is really what you envisioned years ago. Keep the values alive in practice, as they were when I left: Simple, Open, Integrated.

Other reviews for The Nielsen Company

Work was engaging and the people were friendly.

Former Employee - Intern  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

Pros

- NYC
    - Friendly, open culture
    - Extracurricular activities (clubs, sports, etc)
    - Fast-moving media industry
    - Cafe
    - HQ is in the East Village
    - Wide variety of career routes

Cons

- Commute is long from outside the City
    - Off-site workers means there is some miscommunication or duplication of work
    - Clients can be difficult

Take time out of your day to talk to the lower-level associates to help boost morale and to make them feel more like a part of the team. Sometimes an employees worth is hard to find at those low levels.

A specialized custom research supplier being acquired by a large syndicated data supplier had its Pros and Cons

Former Employee - Senior Manager  in  Parsippany, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Parsippany, NJ

Pros

Connections with key decision makers at the largest CPG companies in the world.
    Opportunities to work across the many service areas of The Nielsen Company.
    The opportunity to bring multiple research capabilities and services to the client with One Voice.

Cons

With its syndicated mentality, Nielsen senior management struggled to understand why revenues from a custom based service did not increase on an annual basis at the same level as syndicated services.

Our custom group was shuffled multiple times within the company until it recently found a home within the Shopper/Consumer Insights area.

Appreciate the fact that, in those years in which the company passes along increased costs to clients for providing data from the world's largest retail account, client's revenue budgets vis-a-vis spending on custom research services will be significantly reduced.

There are newer employer reviews for The Nielsen Company.

Worked for The Nielsen Company? Contribute to the Community!