The Nielsen Company
3.0 of 5 1,119 reviews
www.nielsen.com New York, NY 5000+ Employees

Nielsen is a great place to work, but it depends entirely on your role

Associate Client Director (Current Employee)
New York, NY

ProsSO MUCH OPPORTUNITY across the "watch and buy" (media and consumer) sides of the business. HR actually encourages rotation through the company, so I always felt that I had the option of asking to do something completely different and no one would hold that against me. I was lucky to have extremely talented team leaders to work under, which can make or break your experience with Nielsen. Policy of "meritocracy" rewards high performers, which provides a lot of incentive to do you best every day and is a practice I strongly believe in.

ConsToo much focus on cost savings - case in point: the TCS relationship. Outsourcing basic client service duties to a country that does not have the same market environment as the US is a much bigger issue than senior management would like to believe. Benefits package (mostly medical) are great, but compensation is the number one reason why people leave Nielsen to go outside - and it's part of the reason I left myself. Work/life balance depends on your role as well - I was on a very demanding client and didn't have a great balance, but I know many other people who would tout work/life as Nielsen's #1 pro.

Advice to Senior ManagementSalaries are below the industry average - make sure this is fixed in the near future or all of your employees are going to be working for your competition. Take an honest look at the TCS partnership and ask yourself if this is really what you envisioned years ago. Keep the values alive in practice, as they were when I left: Simple, Open, Integrated.

Very dynamic environment where having an entrepreneurial spirit helps.

Vice President (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

I worked at The Nielsen Company full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Lots of training opportunities Good support for client service Cons: Experience governed more by client sometimes than by Nielsen itself. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Not for the Meek

Manager (Former Employee)
    Oldsmar, FL

I worked at The Nielsen Company full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: Eventually those private equity firms will put it all on… Cons: No value for employees. Long hours, tons of outsourcing, constant change in direction and management.… Advice to Senior Management: If you are going to clean house, start at the… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on The Nielsen Company.

Worked for The Nielsen Company? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at The Nielsen Company reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for The Nielsen Company CEO Mitch Barns . All reviews posted anonymously by The Nielsen Company employees.