There are newer employer reviews for The Nielsen Company

Interesting business, mediocre culture

Current Employee - Solutions Architect in Oldsmar, FL
Current Employee - Solutions Architect in Oldsmar, FL

I have been working at The Nielsen Company full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Nielsen has a very appealing business: measuring retail and media consumption for the world. Plenty of big data challenges, most of them unique enough to require custom development at just about every level. As technology and consumption habits continue to evolve, there is constant pressure to continuously improve our scope and capabilities. Current leadership under Dave Calhoun has placed Nielsen in a much more sustainable financial position than it has been in for decades.
The work/live balance has really shifted for the better, most managers allowing working remotely.

Cons

Unfortunately, some of the decisions on technology partners has lead to an unending stream of inexperienced technologists. This leads to poor workmanship and thus, poor build quality. To combat this, Nielsen management has instituted a monstrous bureaucracy that tends to stifle innovation. Also worth mentioning, our infrastructure team is completely outsourced. Since doing so, that team has suffered greatly, and has bogged innovation down quite a bit. Nothing gets done unless it's an emergency and is pushed to the top of the stack by upper management, which is no doubt stressful on the infrastructure teams as well.
Additionally, since the bulk of the employees now seem to be made up of consultants, there is a distinct lack of company culture. The concept of company loyalty is all but evaporated after a series of "work force optimizations" (read: layoffs).
Finally, performance reviews are (as with most companies it seems), mostly a joke. You write your own goals, you criticize yourself, and then your manager meets with you one time for the year and agrees or disagrees. There needs to be a higher focus on monthly or at least quarterly reviews to communicate better about your performance. There is no division of technical and people manager roles, which usually leads to middle management being too overwhelmed with technology meetings and workload to really engage their employees.

Upper management should continue to in the direction it is headed, de-leveraging where it can. However, middle management needs to continue this new focus on hiring top talent to tackle these enormous issues we face. Consider using consulting partners for areas where innovation is less critical. Keep innovation and technology leadership in-house. Really take a close look at our infrastructure partners, and consider if they are capable enough to carry us into future. Without powerful, agile infrastructure, Nielsen will struggle to provide the type of innovation our data-heavy clients demand.

1224 Other Employee Reviews for The Nielsen Company (View Most Recent)

Great place to start out and get exposure to CPG companies

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at The Nielsen Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great exposure to top level CPG firm, especially right out of college. Gives you a good foundation of excel and how to analysis data. Also, helps you develop client facing skills and how to maintain expectations. Lucked out with a really good leader and the opportunity to work in our international group, meaning colleagures across the world.

Cons

Not much room for creativity and innovation, just execute. Compensate on tenure over talent. Very little exposure to top level management. Lately, I hear they are putting restrictions on travel which hinders relationships with clients.

Value the MBA

Very dynamic environment where having an entrepreneurial spirit helps.

Former Employee - Vice President in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Vice President in San Francisco, CA

I worked at The Nielsen Company full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of training opportunities
    Good support for client service

Cons

Experience governed more by client sometimes than by Nielsen itself.

There are newer employer reviews for The Nielsen Company