There are newer employer reviews for The Nielsen Company

Mediocre Management, Confused Strategy, Quarterly Thinking

Current Employee - Director  in  New York, NY
Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at The Nielsen Company full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Biggest player in industry, brand carries with clients and a lock on TV ratings does not hurt

Cons

The senior management team seems to want nothing to do with the employees, and I can't say I have ever seen the people like the CEO or CFO in the NY headquarters office more than a handful of times over numverous years. Products are a complete mess with half started projects that fall by the wayside for whatever is new and the leadership of business groups seem at odds with one another when not managing to their bonus target. Hyper political.

The amount of fear is evident. Are you proud of this?

1183 Other Employee Reviews for The Nielsen Company (View Most Recent)

Its a job

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Oldsmar, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oldsmar, FL

I have been working at The Nielsen Company full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The work I do I enjoy

Cons

Upper management is out of touch with the "worker bees"

spend a day in our jobs

Interesting business, mediocre culture

Current Employee - Solutions Architect  in  Oldsmar, FL
    Current Employee - Solutions Architect in Oldsmar, FL

I have been working at The Nielsen Company full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Nielsen has a very appealing business: measuring retail and media consumption for the world. Plenty of big data challenges, most of them unique enough to require custom development at just about every level. As technology and consumption habits continue to evolve, there is constant pressure to continuously improve our scope and capabilities. Current leadership under Dave Calhoun has placed Nielsen in a much more sustainable financial position than it has been in for decades.
    The work/live balance has really shifted for the better, most managers allowing working remotely.

Cons

Unfortunately, some of the decisions on technology partners has lead to an unending stream of inexperienced technologists. This leads to poor workmanship and thus, poor build quality. To combat this, Nielsen management has instituted a monstrous bureaucracy that tends to stifle innovation. Also worth mentioning, our infrastructure team is completely outsourced. Since doing so, that team has suffered greatly, and has bogged innovation down quite a bit. Nothing gets done unless it's an emergency and is pushed to the top of the stack by upper management, which is no doubt stressful on the infrastructure teams as well.
    Additionally, since the bulk of the employees now seem to be made up of consultants, there is a distinct lack of company culture. The concept of company loyalty is all but evaporated after a series of "work force optimizations" (read: layoffs).
    Finally, performance reviews are (as with most companies it seems), mostly a joke. You write your own goals, you criticize yourself, and then your manager meets with you one time for the year and agrees or disagrees. There needs to be a higher focus on monthly or at least quarterly reviews to communicate better about your performance. There is no division of technical and people manager roles, which usually leads to middle management being too overwhelmed with technology meetings and workload to really engage their employees.

Upper management should continue to in the direction it is headed, de-leveraging where it can. However, middle management needs to continue this new focus on hiring top talent to tackle these enormous issues we face. Consider using consulting partners for areas where innovation is less critical. Keep innovation and technology leadership in-house. Really take a close look at our infrastructure partners, and consider if they are capable enough to carry us into future. Without powerful, agile infrastructure, Nielsen will struggle to provide the type of innovation our data-heavy clients demand.

There are newer employer reviews for The Nielsen Company

Worked for The Nielsen Company? Contribute to the Community!