The Nielsen Company
3.0 of 5 1,028 reviews
www.nielsen.com New York, NY 5000+ Employees

Excellent place to start a career

Analyst (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL

I have been working at The Nielsen Company full-time for more than a year

ProsOften times you don't get to hear the positives of a company in this type of review environment, so I want to give my assessment. I've been with Nielsen for a little over a year and have had a great experience thus far. Hopefully the next 3-5 years will be just as good.

1. Valuable experience for the CPG and market research industry. I've had large roles not only in technical aspects, but also when brainstorming, deckbuilding, and answering client issues. In my first year I've already had great client exposure, even presenting results to the end client. Nielsen has been a great place to hone my analytical skills, gain exposure to technology and business concepts I haven't had much experience with, and developing my soft skills in terms of client management. There is also plenty of opportunities to take a leadership role in your local office. In my experience, Nielsen is a company based on ownership and leadership of your ideas.
2. Work-Life balance/flexibility - working remotely, working from home, etc.
3. Great people - smart, fun, and interesting people to work with

Cons1. Experience depends on middle-management. Unfortunately at Nielsen, your experience will heavily depend on your direct manager as a new hire. If your manager is inexperienced or not willing to invest significant time into identifying your personal objectives and how that aligns with company objectives, the skills you end up developing, your promotion outlook, and your experience won't be as great as someone who was assigned a great manager. There is a standardization process when you're evaluated against your peers, but that's reliant on how well your manager vouches for you. This is partly in your control too - to be very clear with your objectives and career goals off the bat. However, Nielsen could work on training middle management to inspire those who work beneath them.
2. Can be very technical at times - in every job there's going to be times when you don't want to do what you have to do. Nielsen isn't for everyone and moments when you have to be extremely technical and analytical tends to show you if someone will last at Nielsen. These moments aren't fun, but you go through them as a team and there's always support when you need it.

Advice to Senior ManagementInspire your workers - help them visualize a career at Nielsen.
Continue to support social values of diversity and health.
Be transparent with meritocracy.

Overall a great place to start your career

Intern (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at The Nielsen Company as an intern for less than a year

Pros: - Great coworkers and company culture - Gained valuable skills and… Cons: Everyone on my team put in long hours.. but that… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Great place to work!

Research Analyst (Current Employee)
Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at The Nielsen Company full-time for less than a year

Pros: Great people, workplace values their employees, excellent non-monetary benefits, fun… Cons: Occasionally some long hours in the office. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on The Nielsen Company.

Worked for The Nielsen Company? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at The Nielsen Company reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for The Nielsen Company CEO Mitch Barns . All reviews posted anonymously by The Nielsen Company employees.