The Ohio State University

There are newer employer reviews for The Ohio State University

Solid Training Ground

Current Employee - Graduate Research Associate in Columbus, OH
Current Employee - Graduate Research Associate in Columbus, OH

I have been working at The Ohio State University part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The university is know for its Innovative Research in so many fields. this helps students learn and be able to contribute when they get out there. Also, the university gas great intellectuals from whom the students learn from,

Cons

The university is pretty large and it's so easy to feel small and insignificant. some fields are very competitive with limited resources that cannot be distributed to everyone.

be more personable.

426 Other Employee Reviews for The Ohio State University (View Most Recent)

Overworked, underpaid, no support from management/HR

I have been working at The Ohio State University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The Ohio State University has great benefits, good insurance, adoption assistance, and free tuition. Other perks include discount movie tickets, discounted Kings Island passes, etc.

Cons

There is no support from management or HR. The "corporate culture" sucks and everyone kowtows to the Doctors, PhDs, and Professors. Often times I have observed Doctors speaking disrespectfully about nurses and other hospital staff on a frequent basis. I have even caught my boss making false disrespectful remarks about me behind (he thought it was behind my back) my back. However, just earlier that day he told me I was doing a great job. My experience with many of the doctors, PhDs, and professors (especially the younger ones) is that they care more about their promotion and tenure (P&T) than they do their staff or sometimes their projects. I spent a lot of time building long-term relationships with sponsors and my boss did not value the relationship. Instead he was disrespectful of the relationships and did not nurture them and now we have lost their sponsorship. I have witnessed researchers breaking federal regulations and when they are called on it by their research staff, they immediately threatened the persons job. When the staff member complained to HR and the division head, they protected the doctor without hearing any facts or both sides of the conflict. Over the last year I have observed them relentlessly trying to fire the staff member but they keep thwarting their bosses attempt. Unfortunately, these experiences and especially this person (the doctor) have created a hostile work environment. I have friend at OSU who have had similar experiences as the ones mentioned above.

Quit protecting your Doctors. Just because they have an MD or PhD after their name does not make them perfect, infallible or places them beyond lying to protect themselves when they have blatantly broken federal regulations and ethical principles.

Food Service in The Ohio Union

Current Employee - Chef, Sous Chef, Food Prep in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Chef, Sous Chef, Food Prep in Columbus, OH

I have been working at The Ohio State University part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Work was dynamic, preparing a variety of meals each day.

Cons

Few hours available, Occasionally felt inprepared to prepare the food.

Better job training for employees

There are newer employer reviews for The Ohio State University