The Ohio State University

There are newer employer reviews for The Ohio State University

Research Assistant

Former Employee - Research Assistant in Columbus, OH
Former Employee - Research Assistant in Columbus, OH

I worked at The Ohio State University as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible. As long as you get it done by a certain time the hours are relatively irrelevant.

Cons

The right hand doesn't know what the right finger doeth, yet alone the left hand.

Collaborate without bureaucracy.

419 Other Employee Reviews for The Ohio State University (View Most Recent)

Good experience, but less than average pay.

I have been working at The Ohio State University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- Monday - Friday shifts.
    - 1st, 2nd, and 3rd shift opportunities available in some departments.
    - Decent benefits that start day 1.
    - Overtime on weekends, holidays, and after 8 hours on the clock during the week.
    - You start with two weeks' paid vacation, and build from that. Vacation time builds even over years, so until you reach a maximum (200 hours) you can't "lose" vacation.
    - Part time college credits available for employees for free. You must drop the class before a certain date or pass. If you drop after a certain date or fail, you pay for the class.
    - Extensive Union contract.
    - Differential pay for certain departments.
    - Hours are great for a retirement job or someone who is just looking for a change of pace, or someone who is single and has little, if any, debt.
    - OPERS retirement, which means anyone can transfer in or out from another job working for the State of Ohio and not lose time in the state retirement system.
    - Opportunity to work on a college campus that is always vibrant and lively any time of day. Many employees will agree with the Cons list below, but all will also agree that working on OSU's campus gives each employee a sense of pride.

Cons

- My job is one of the lowest paid of any universities in the Big Ten. It is also one of the lowest paid in the private or public sector. The steady hours and work environment are a trade-off.
    - The University now requires all employees to submit to a Biometric Health Screening, or else be kicked off of your current insurance plan and put into a "high risk" plan with huge premiums and very little coverage.
    - There are no bonuses for hourly wage earners at the University.
    - The wage disparity between the University President and the lowest hourly wage earners is comparable to a private business, not a public University.
    - The University sick time policy allows for a maximum of 50 hours' unscheduled sick leave every 6 months. After this, you are subject to corrective action. Should you come down with the flu or something that knocks you out over a week, you must go on Family and Medical Leave or be subject to corrective action.
    - Possibility of job being privatized by the University. University's atmosphere is one of focusing solely on academics and those core supporting jobs. Service jobs that make the rest of the University function (waste disposal, transportation, facilities management) are not seen in the same importance. This was evidenced by the recent privatization of the parking lots/garages and associated loss of employees.
    - There are many people who have transferred to my department from outside of the University and have taken a substantial pay cut to continue to be employed. Differential pay is only for certain departments, and other departments with 2nd and 3rd shift employees do not pay it.

Pay, in all departments, should be commensurate with job description. OSU pays less than even other public sector jobs in the state. Once in a while, management and employees actually can sit down and discuss how to improve their various departments, but more often than not, management and employees are at a disconnect, and things just don't seem to change or get done.

Lots of good student jobs

Current Employee - Research Assistant
    Current Employee - Research Assistant

I have been working at The Ohio State University part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Depends on the lab you work for, but I was given a lot of responsibility without much supervision. My hours were also very flexible and I was essentially choosing to work whenever I wanted, although I did have a certain number of hours each week.

Cons

Getting more hours can be a pain sometimes, but that being said, I was paid very well for how much work I actually did.

Hire more research assistants. The experience is very useful and students give so much money to the university that they deserve some back.

There are newer employer reviews for The Ohio State University