There are newer employer reviews for The Option Institute

Working at the Option Institute has helped me grow so much professionally and personally.

Current Employee - Sales Team in Sheffield, MA
Current Employee - Sales Team in Sheffield, MA

I have been working at The Option Institute full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Caring staff, great learning environment, able to make a difference in people's lifes.

Cons

Salary is low and does not increase w/ advancements.

Increase salary to decrease turnover.

18 Other Employee Reviews for The Option Institute (View Most Recent)

Misery, heartache, mold and raw sewage

Former Employee - Accounting in Sheffield, MA
    Former Employee - Accounting in Sheffield, MA

I worked at The Option Institute full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Everyone needs a benchmark for how terrible a job can be. Options is the bottom rung in employment. Things can only get better from there.

Cons

Weight room mold on ceiling, raw sewage leaking out of the ground, tight & cramped quarters. Low wages and too tolerant of employee drug addictions. Too many geese and geese droppings everywhere. Owners have one way glass door so they can 'critique' or really spy on secretaries interactions with visitors.

Make the business into a golf resort or similar vacation venue. Don't hire volunteers or drug addicts.

Cult-Like Atmosphere

I worked at The Option Institute full-time

Pros

Beautiful location. International atmosphere with clients from all over the world. Some good food. Some nice, liberal, open-minded staff. Some of the teachings of the Son-Rise Program are helpful and sweet.

Cons

I would not recommend working for this company. Essentially, the founders and family are making out financially (and through people's misery) while everyone else is hardly paid (and continually made to feel bad that they are not working hard enough). Unless you agree with all the teachings, you are on the outside and will never be accepted. The teaching roster consists mainly of the Kaufman family without any outside sources coming in to teach. Because of this, they are considered a cult and I would agree with this statement. Barry Neil 'Bears' Kaufman wants to be venerated and worshipped - you practically have to eat out of his hand when he enters the room (or be treated cruelly by him for the rest of your time there). He uses his power to tear people down only to build people back up the way he wants to. He incarcerates and ensnares the weak with his manipulative tactics and narcissistic antics. His wife is not much better. They are sham artists who clearly don't care about people as they treat their employees horribly (hardly paying them, asking them to work continuously, making them feel bad about themselves by verbally attacking them), while by comparison the guests and participants are treated very well. These are not do-gooders, rather they are powermongers who just want to be idolized and venerated.

I have personally encountered Bears Kaufman calling people morbidly obese (fat-shaming is one of his favorites), stupid, and lazy, for all intensive purposes. He says it all under the guise of 'wanting to help them and love them by speaking from an authentic place.' I really do not know how this guy does not get sued every day.

They are constantly attempting to downplay their 'cult' reputation by spinning damage control. Even if you look at the reviews on this site, you will see that clearly that employees were told to write good reviews at a certain period in time. They were contracted in January of 2014. It is obvious. The reviews are mostly from current employees and are flowery in description. In my mind, this is not professional in the slightest. If you treat your employees well, clearly you would not have to do co-erce employees to show their respect for your company online and contract them to do so.

Not a place I recommend to work. I wish I could say the opposite was true.

Interdepartmental communication and ability to access feedback from employees. Departments do not communicate well and are fragmented.

The Option Institute Response

May 21, 2014Chief Operating Officer

It would be challenging for OI to 'prove' that what this person is saying is blatantly false, but there is one place where I can easily show this person to be untruthful.

That area is regarding