Internship: Great experience, poor treatment

Former Intern - Intern in San Francisco, CA
Former Intern - Intern in San Francisco, CA

I worked at The OutCast Agency as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing experience with an impressive client list. Fantastic for your resume, *some* decent full-time employees who treat you well. The SF office is nice and there are sporadic fun office events.

Cons

This internship may be great for your resume, but it will be awful for your core values of being a respected human being. I worked very hard for six months, often times being one of the last ones in the office and can count the "thank yous" I received on one hand. HR is vague about full-time opportunities, and will string you along with little to no direction. The HR team has no PR experience and makes decisions based off of flawed testimonials by active employees. Directors and execs don't know your name and don't care to learn. The ruthless young women clawing their way to the top will edge you out any way they can, and blame their mistakes on you. I've never witnessed such ruthless, gutless practices in the workplace as I have in my experience at OutCast.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your interns and the feedback they offer. You're missing out on talent because your low-level employees treat the office like a "Mean Girls" sequel.

reviews filtered by
  1. There are a million agencies but only one OutCast

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at The OutCast Agency full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Exceptional growth and mentorship possibilities (particularly for women in tech)
    Ridiculously awesome client roster (you won't beat it in terms of tech)
    Lots of incredibly smart people
    Strong relationships within Silicon Valley
    Trustworthy -- during my time at OC I knew where I stood at all times and what I had to do to improve. Not once was I misguided (even by those I might not have particularly liked).
    Huge Pay-offs. Yes, the work is hard and people will push you but the end results are nothing less than amazing and leaves you feeling proud.

Cons

It's not the environment for everyone - lots of Type-A's and relatively long hours. So if you are the type of person who resents authority, you probably won't like it here.
    "It's not ER, it's PR" is a phrase people have to be reminded of for a reason.
    You won't know how good you had it until you're gone.
    OC is what you put into it - non self-starters should be warned, extensively.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in employee growth. You're doing an amazing job at it.

Also, please give Alex lots of praise for all the awesome work she's been doing. You'll struggle to find a better leader than her.

2. faking it

Current Employee - PR Professional in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - PR Professional in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at The OutCast Agency full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Salary. Benefits. Generous PTO. Work from Home option. Random fun and well produced employee events. Many of my co-workers are people I would typically hang with outside of work, which is cool.
    The client list is impressive and will add to making my resume stand out.

Cons

The work can be demanding and time is often short but it's work so to be expected. There is blatant favoritism. To succeed or even survive you need to be "in" with the right people and this requires a bit of a-kissing and luck. If you can handle this or fake it till you make it you will be allowed "in". Once you are "in" you will be golden. I hear that it's better here now than it used to be. It must have been miserable to work here before.

Advice to Management

Lot of talk. Little action. Be for real. Show some substance. Lead.