The Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County

www.cincinnatilibrary.org
  www.cincinnatilibrary.org
There are newer employer reviews for The Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County

The knowledge learned from the people and environment makes up for the public level compensation.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at The Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County

Pros

I loved who I worked with and the discussions we had during our lunch breaks. They always had a lot of interesting cross-disciplinary information to share. Information and resources were readily available. There was always friendly and collaborative staff along with a high level of team integration. I was always given independence and freedom to learn material on own and was encouraged to lead my own projects.

Cons

You are at the mercy of tax payer dollars, and the levies are a constant stress.

10 Other Employee Reviews for The Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County (View Most Recent)

A great learning experience.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Loveland, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Loveland, OH

I worked at The Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County

Pros

It was steady work as well as interesting people to work with. It made the time pass. It was great pay for a high school job.

Cons

It could be quite boring sometimes as putting books away can be quite tedious to a degree. Sometimes there was a shortage of hours.

I believe the dress code to be somewhat strict for being a public entity. I do understand the hardship of a declining budget.

Great Library; Insane Management

Former Employee - Reference Librarian in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Reference Librarian in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at The Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County

Pros

Still one of the best public libraries in the country. The other librarians and library services assistants are smart and collegial. Patrons (except now we have to call them customers) often have interesting information needs. Pay is above average for the region and the retirement benefits are spectacular.

Cons

Management gleefully engages in union busting. Recent pointless and at the same time bizarre changes have led to major dumbing down of the services we provide. Librarians now spend two hours a day, for example, manning a call center where the main activity is acting as support staff to bill collectors throughout the country who are too lazy to look up their own bank routing numbers. Former subject specialists now work only intermittently in their actual areas of expertise.

Go back and look at the notes you took in library management class. For example, back in the '20s, management theorists began considering the idea that workers were happier when able to find some meaning in their work. You wouldn't think this would be hard at a library, but when you go down into the closed stacks and see 100 book trucks full of books that have been unshelved for as long as two months, you start wondering. Why did it take so long for management to start replacing the shelvers they'd gotten rid of during the big change?

Work at The Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County? Share Your Experiences

The Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County