Good place for stretching experience and potential, poor for advancement.

Former Employee - Project Manager  in  Emeryville, CA
Former Employee - Project Manager in Emeryville, CA

I worked at The Ratcliff Architects

Pros

In general, the senior technical staff are warm, helpful and personally motivated to go above and beyond the call of duty for the clients and their projects. Mentorship is informal but good. It feels like a family, mostly in good ways.

Cons

There are still no standards being followed for resource management, the accounting software doesn't allow for discipline fee allocation, even the new letterhead is about a year late, with no forms templates available to the office at large. Insular, uncommunicative and slow to respond, the combination of retirements and poor economy have left this firm with a singularly unimaginative and reactive group of individuals in charge. Compensation is heavily and obviously biased toward partners, creating ill will.

Please, stop trying to run the business in a siege mentality -- get up on a ladder and look at the horizon. Try to develop a senior management task force that includes people with ideas that don't already match your own. You cannot lead with your heads in the sand.

Other Reviews for The Ratcliff Architects

Great place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I worked at The Ratcliff Architects

Pros

Very supportive management, flexible schedule, good benefits, family friendly, advancement opportunities, interesting projects, nice open office, very friendly owner, open door policy.

Cons

Cant think of anything offhand, other the typical disadvantages to working for a small company. The benefits can be better, but it is a small company and they do the best they can

Don't change a thing!

Supportive, collaborative work environment

Former Employee - Intermediate Designer/Job Captain
    Former Employee - Intermediate Designer/Job Captain

I worked at The Ratcliff Architects full-time

Pros

As an intermediate designer, I found I was given significant project responsibility and was supported in taking on new challenges. My project team was collaborative, treated each other with respect, and let other team members know they were valued. Compassionate, engaged, approachable leadership. Management was supportive and responsive, and treated me as an individual, not as a cog in the machine. Good work-life balance most of the time, though as with any architecture position, deadlines occasionally require long hours. Firm has Friday off program (8.5 hour workday so firm can close at least one Friday per month)--great perk.

Cons

The firm is big enough that it is not entirely nimble in responding to suggestions for change/improvement. Although cross-training is encouraged, firm essentially operates as separate studios, so individual experience can vary greatly depending on studio/team. Although I played a big role on my project, my interaction with the client was limited; most client interaction was handled by the principal-in-charge or PM.

Work toward better communication and collaboration across studios/Practice Area Groups. Balance the conservatism that has kept the firm going for so long with calculated risk-taking and greater openness to change and new potential.

There are newer employer reviews for The Ratcliff Architects.

Worked for The Ratcliff Architects? Contribute to the Community!