There are newer employer reviews for The Standard

Not a competitive company overall

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at The Standard full-time

Pros

–Upper management communicates with employees at all levels. Multiple times management would walk around my floor and asked me how things were going and so forth. This is rare...

Cons

–Cronyism to the maximum in this place. It literally pissed a lot of people off. In my tenure there, I saw a person get hired for another internal position after just 6 months of working there (there's an established 1 year minimum to apply). A woman got promoted to manager after less than a year of being there, but she was the wife of an upper management executive. I also saw a person get promoted 2-3 times from taking photographs to a higher marketing position in less than 14 months. These are just some cases from a long list of crazy promotions and things that went on there.

–Compensation is extremely low compared to competitors, below average in my career area. I got a 1% performance bonus, that is ridiculous.

–Meetings, meetings and more meetings: The culture seems to be around meetings–at least in my area–and the time wasted in meetings is just inconceivable. I have not seen anything like that anywhere else.

–Talent is not recognized. I worked with people that had degrees nowhere close to the educational preparation required, and their mistakes were covered up by managers for the sake of who knows what. Some people were afraid of technical skills and preferred keeping it simple even when that couldn't be done to answer the questions needed to be answered.

Advice to Management

Recognize the talent and skills needed for the team to succeed, don't settle for less than that. Don't be afraid about holding people accountable and avoid wasting time in meaningless meetings.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Great

Current Intern - QA Intern in Portland, OR
    Current Intern - QA Intern in Portland, OR

I have been working at The Standard as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Interesting projects, great people to work with

Cons

old systems, compensation can be better

Advice to Management

have like a leadership program

Used to be great

Current Employee - Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at The Standard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

* Many front-line managers try to do the best for their employees
    * Many areas genuinely care about work/life balance

Cons

* Lack of leadership transparency
    * Lack of leadership accountability
    * Mixed messages regarding corporate policies depending on which area of the company you work in
    * Leaders at the Director level and above seem to throw employees under the bus when something goes wrong
    * Cronyism exists everywhere...incompetent managers are given opportunities to grow & excel because they are friends with senior executives
    * Forced ranking of employees has created an environment where most aren't willing to do more than the bare minimum to be successful...employees don't feel extra effort is recognized as there isn't space for more than 10% of employees to be determined as anything more than average and there isn't support from management to make the case when areas do have more than 10% doing exceeding expectations work

Advice to Management

Be honest with your employees...don't try & sugarcoat or avoid things. People are losing faith in you and that's just exacerbated by the fact that the average employee merit increase are less than 3% when executives are getting double digit increases, there's no feeling of trust or that employees can be genuine and honest with their managers without being viewed as a