There are newer employer reviews for The Standard

Nice Work Environment

Former Employee - Participant Education Consultant
Former Employee - Participant Education Consultant

I worked at The Standard full-time for more than a year

Pros

Friendly atmosphere with opportunity for advancement.

Cons

Very "left-coast" company. Not necessarily a con.

n/a

92 Other Employee Reviews for The Standard (View Most Recent)

Weathering the storm

I have been working at The Standard full-time for more than a year

Pros

The Standard cares about people. I have personally seen how this company has helped many employees with personal situations and allowed them the necessary flexibility to take care of their families. (Nursed a loved one through 2 rounds of cancer treatments, the unexpected loss of a family member, and divorce). Life is life and if you give to The Standard, they give right back. I have lots of flexibility and independence. I love it.

We have so many avenues to get infront of leadership and hear what they have to say. Comments on organization announcements, the bubble, Coffee with our CEO, engagement events, President's forum, team meetings...you name it! We are active givers in the community. It is engrained in our values and mission. I love our benefits, PTO, good medical/dental/vision, match on 401k, and much more. This company even lets you buy more PTO if you want.....GEEZ! I have an open door with my manager, and my skip level and my Executive. If you want to say something all you have to do is raise your hand.

Cons

We are an insurance company that is slow to change. The good and bad with having good longevity is that some people just want to do it the way it has always been done. That is challenging when you are creative or innovative and want to create change and efficiency. If you have enough patience and persistence you can influence eventually, but it may take a while. We have some inefficient, archaic systems and processes. I wished there was more opportunity for movement. There are short term assignments and projects and you can volunteer for anything, but not always a move to another area.

Although I have a great experience, the overall culture depends on your department. That is not abnormal but we are disjointed and inconsistent in our message.

You have to move quicker. Don't get stagnant. Educate our managers on flexibility, motivation and empowerment.

Difficult to climb the ladder ala promotion...

I worked at The Standard full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Steady paycheck, very good benefits

Cons

Few incentives for superior work. Middle management and supervisors are very close and share a lot of info (hint, hint). HR is there to protect the company not look out for employees. Call center teams are on the front lines however they are not treated like this (seemingly low pay, few incentives).

Listen to your employees on the front lines (call center positions)...

There are newer employer reviews for The Standard

Worked for The Standard? Contribute to the Community!