The Standard

www.standard.com
Profile Unclaimed
There are newer employer reviews for The Standard

The Standard is awful for IT jobs!

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Portland, OR
Current Employee - Data Analyst in Portland, OR

I have been working at The Standard full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You can get away with doing nothing.

Cons

No accountability, passive-aggressive, better to be nice than to be productive, software is all ancient and out of support.

Quit and get some people there with balls, especially David ??? the CIO!

108 Other Employee Reviews for The Standard (View Most Recent)

Not a competitive company overall

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at The Standard full-time

Pros

–Upper management communicates with employees at all levels. Multiple times management would walk around my floor and asked me how things were going and so forth. This is rare...

Cons

–Cronyism to the maximum in this place. It literally pissed a lot of people off. In my tenure there, I saw a person get hired for another internal position after just 6 months of working there (there's an established 1 year minimum to apply). A woman got promoted to manager after less than a year of being there, but she was the wife of an upper management executive. I also saw a person get promoted 2-3 times from taking photographs to a higher marketing position in less than 14 months. These are just some cases from a long list of crazy promotions and things that went on there.

–Compensation is extremely low compared to competitors, below average in my career area. I got a 1% performance bonus, that is ridiculous.

–Meetings, meetings and more meetings: The culture seems to be around meetings–at least in my area–and the time wasted in meetings is just inconceivable. I have not seen anything like that anywhere else.

–Talent is not recognized. I worked with people that had degrees nowhere close to the educational preparation required, and their mistakes were covered up by managers for the sake of who knows what. Some people were afraid of technical skills and preferred keeping it simple even when that couldn't be done to answer the questions needed to be answered.

Recognize the talent and skills needed for the team to succeed, don't settle for less than that. Don't be afraid about holding people accountable and avoid wasting time in meaningless meetings.

Great

Current Intern - QA Intern in Portland, OR
    Current Intern - QA Intern in Portland, OR

I have been working at The Standard as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Interesting projects, great people to work with

Cons

old systems, compensation can be better

have like a leadership program

There are newer employer reviews for The Standard