The Standard

www.standard.com

Again, good for a job, not a career.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Portland, OR

ProsThe benefits are good here. For me, the healthcare options are sufficient. There are some people who you can learn from.

ConsThere is definitely a closed-mindedness amongst the employees here. I once thought that it would be good to be at a company where there are people who have worked there for 10, 20 30+ years. Then, when I joined the Standard, I came to the realization that working with these people is tough as they truly believe that everything they do should be easy to comprehend as it is the only possible way to do things. They seemingly have never been exposed to other ways to solve the problems they face except for the ways they have always done them, which oftentimes is quite inefficient. Therefore, for someone coming in fresh, there is ususally a communication barrier between the newbie and the "old-timer" that never is overcome. A vast supply of fresh blood needs to be infused in this company before it's inefficiencies drive it into bankruptcy. The Retirement Plans group will probably be the first to go because of the situation described above.
In short, there are some smart people, but unfortunately way more closed-minded people here. The Management structure here is based almost 100% on knowing someone higher up, and meetings are largely a waste of time as the management doesn't really know what is going on and therefore can't communicate anything worthwhile. Also, I have given up trying to even speak or ask a question to management as you are essentially looked at as a "dissident" for even talking, no matter if what you had to say was good or bad. A very stifling culture indeed.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote people who actually know what they are doing AND can communicate; give clear and worthwhile information at meetings and let other people talk and ask questions. Also, it is not a bad thing when someone wants a system or process explained for their benefit; it is better to have two people know what is going on and tackling problems than it is to have just one. Do not feel threatened by people who simply want to understand what they are doing and not simply "pushing buttons". To me the blind obedience and dissuading of employees from looking deeper at problems to give possible solutions to management is simply backwards to me.

A company stranded in the 1950's

I have been working at The Standard

Pros: The company has a highly ethical and conscientious culture with a beautiful location in downtown Portland, Oregon. The people are generally nice to work… Cons: Career development is terrible with little chance of promoting the right people. Promotions are usually based on personality and social networking instead of talent… Advice to Senior Management: Look around you for a change and learn more from the marketplace. Start building capacities as an organization that don't… More

The Standard

I have been working at The Standard

Pros: The people are nice and pretty easy to get along… Cons: Things are often changing but really, everything stays the same. Advice to Senior Management: Hold employees at all levels accountable for results. The results… More

There are newer reviews on The Standard.

Worked for The Standard? Contribute to the Community!