The Teaching Company

www.thegreatcourses.com
  www.thegreatcourses.com
There are newer employer reviews for The Teaching Company

Very employee-centered publisher of world class academic courses.

Current Employee - Customer Relationship Manager  in  Chantilly, VA
Current Employee - Customer Relationship Manager in Chantilly, VA

I have been working at The Teaching Company

Pros

First off, company culture is really positive, and all of my managers and team members are just great well rounded people. I work in the call center, which can be stressful, and repetitive, sure. But the supervisors realize this, and do more than enough to keep everyone in the call center comfortable and in high spirits. Our benefits are just absolutely outstanding for being in a call center, and we are compensated much much better than any other group of call center people that I've ever heard of, except maybe in finance. Fully paid medical, dental, and vision, 401k and IRA, with a good match, lots of learning opportunities, and literally tons of catered meals during peak times. I go for weeks with out buying lunch sometimes... That may sound silly but it's really quite awesome. Also 4 weeks of paid time off starting, and super flexible schedules. We're all on salary which starts at around 35,000, plus we get time and a half paid on any overtime we work. Then there is the incentive plan, each month we have a revenue target, if we hit it we get a nice bonus!

Cons

Well, the only real downside to working here I'd say is dealing with rude customers over the phone, these are the exception, as ninety nine percent of calls I take are just fine, friendly folks. I am sitting most of the day, and every once in a while my wrists hurt from using a keyboard. TTC is a smaller company of about 200 people, we are growing but there isn't too many opportunities for advancement within the call center. I'm perfectly fine with that for the time being though.

Take this company public. ...but give me stock options first!

12 Other Employee Reviews for The Teaching Company (View Most Recent)

Great benefits... but no more personal life

Current Employee - Customer Service Manager
    Current Employee - Customer Service Manager

I have been working at The Teaching Company

Pros

This is one of the only call centers you can work at and wear jeans and a T-shirt. Co-workers and management are really friendly. I've worked at a lot of call centers, and here I never feel as if someone is constantly over my shoulder or job security. The benefits here are also unrivaled as well.

Cons

There is no personal life while working here. Honestly, i barely see my family or friends anymore. You typically don't get back to back days off, so it’s very probable that you’d get one day off every six days.

It's VERY busy here as well. It's very understaffed and senior management doesn't seem to want to add any extra people to the payroll. It's always pressure to always work more overtime. If I told you the amount of extra hours I was asked to work, you'd think I was making it up. Your hour lunch will more than likely on be 30 mins, because once again, understaffed. They do feed you because of this but sitting in front of a computer for 8.5 hours with irritable customers causes a bit more of a strain.

Make no mistake about it, it's an educational company but customers are extremely argumentative.

Management needs to hire more people instead of overworking the employees that are there. The staff that was once so diverse and revered are starting to leave in droves. The teaching company was once looked at a place to grow, now its looked at among most employees as a starting point until they can find something else.

Fantastic people to work with, but not for. Executive team at odds and competing with each other.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chantilly, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chantilly, VA

I have been working at The Teaching Company full-time

Pros

Smart, caring coworkers who are passionate about doing the job well. Liberal vacation policy (4 weeks, 1 week payback if you don't take it), decent benefits, great product.

Cons

Very difficult to get the time for that liberal vacation policy; lots of people forfeit time. Benefits are cut year over year. Production expectations and timelines are insane and get worse continually. Very very difficult to get promoted. The executive team backbites, competes, doesn't have a clue about how to work productively together. Old school marketing. Too much emphasis on high level of growth regardless of economic climate.

Start over with your "C" level team.

There are newer employer reviews for The Teaching Company

Worked for The Teaching Company? Contribute to the Community!