The Teaching Company

www.thegreatcourses.com
Engaged Employer
Add Review
There are newer employer reviews for The Teaching Company

Change starts from the top...

Current Employee - Customer Relationship Manager in Chantilly, VA

I have been working at The Teaching Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Teaching Company has a great product and that's what drew me to the company. Also, they are very health conscious and offer a very good benefits package.

Cons

Communication is lacking across the board at Teaching Company. The Marketing Department runs the show but their marketing tactics are antiquated and are quite bothersome to our customers and the website almost never works. The CEO is rarely around and is not well respected at all by most of the employees. Customer Care is never staffed highly enough to manage all the call volume and the supervisors are still quite green. There really are some good people that are highly motivated and qualified to make great changes, but the people at the top are not interested in seeing what they have unless the ideas are going to make lots of money.

Advice to Management

Start listening to the feedback you're getting about company culture. Morale is down and by not communicating clearly or in a timely fashion this leads employees to come up with their own conclusions about what is going on in the company. Respect Customer Care department more, the reps are your workhorses, and rarely get any acknowledgement from you.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Very employee-centered publisher of world class academic courses.

I have been working at The Teaching Company

Pros

First off, company culture is really positive, and all of my managers and team members are just great well rounded people. I work in the call center, which can be stressful, and repetitive, sure. But the supervisors realize this, and do more than enough to keep everyone in the call center comfortable and in high spirits. Our benefits are just absolutely outstanding for being in a call center, and we are compensated much much better than any other group of call center people that I've ever heard of, except maybe in finance. Fully paid medical, dental, and vision, 401k and IRA, with a good match, lots of learning opportunities, and literally tons of catered meals during peak times. I go for weeks with out buying lunch sometimes... That may sound silly but it's really quite awesome. Also 4 weeks of paid time off starting, and super flexible schedules. We're all on salary which starts at around 35,000, plus we get time and a half paid on any overtime we work. Then there is the incentive plan, each month we have a revenue target, if we hit it we get a nice bonus!

Cons

Well, the only real downside to working here I'd say is dealing with rude customers over the phone, these are the exception, as ninety nine percent of calls I take are just fine, friendly folks. I am sitting most of the day, and every once in a while my wrists hurt from using a keyboard. TTC is a smaller company of about 200 people, we are growing but there isn't too many opportunities for advancement within the call center. I'm perfectly fine with that for the time being though.

Advice to Management

Take this company public. ...but give me stock options first!

2. could have been better

I worked at The Teaching Company

Pros

Many talented employees. Strong products.

Cons

Management doesn't know what it wants. The younger employees don't gel with the older ones.

Advice to Management

Listen.