Fundraiser

I worked at The UN Refugee Agency full-time

Pros

Met a lot of cool people with great attitudes on life

Cons

You were just another number. If you had a bad week, you were at risk of being fired even if you had proven yourself before.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

UNPROFESSIONAL STAFF, LIES, AND NO REGARD FOR EMPLOYEES

Former Employee - Face-to-Face Fundraiser in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at The UN Refugee Agency part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great cause, co-workers are awesome

Cons

Lack of regard for employees Treat most like they do not have any international knowledge of conflict zones Lack workplace integrity--say something and then change their stance I was with USA for UNHCR for a month; I found the job via craigslist. Got hired (questions are easy) and the reviews written are accurate--they will hire almost anyone. In training was told that there is a lot of opportunity for growth. The first week was ok and then started to notice little discrepancies. Everyone else myself, and two other ladies were supposed to work with all have something going on preventing them for coming in (so we were told). One of the guys who was present our first week mysterious--found out later that he was let go b/c did not make quota. I kept inquiring about the other five people who were supposed to be working with us and one of the team management leaders finally conceded and stated that they were not there anymore--they were "going to start fresh," another lie because come to find out they quit. Want employees to be flexible however, they are not flexible. I was part time and was told I had to work three days out of the week for seven hours straight (21 hours). Days and times change from week to week so you can see where some frustration stems from. Attempted to pick up my final check several times. They finally mailed it today. They hire awesome people who speak well, know international issues, and are positive. However, everyone become negative not because of the cause itself but because of management; PEOPLE DON'T QUIT JOBS THEY QUIT MANAGERS. READ THE REVIEWS ON THIS WEBSITE: SPOT ON, AND I WISH I WOULD HAVE READ THEM SOONER.

Advice to Management

Treat everyone with regard--just because some of us were quite as to why everyone is leaving does not mean we did not know what was going on. Be truthful, to yourself and employees and accept that positive criticism should be taken constructively especially if more than one person is telling you the same thing.

Work towards a great cause by using terrible methods!

Former Employee - Face-to-Face Fundraiser in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at The UN Refugee Agency full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent cause/purpose to fight for

Cons

Standing at minimum 8 hours a day, policies that make you assume 100% liability for lost/stolen i-Pads (even with a police report), poor ability to adapt and change, deceptive tactics.

Advice to Management

Target the best groups of people to find donors rather than saying "It's just a numbers game" and bothering hundreds of people each day with little result