Manager

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Boston, MA
Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at The UPS Store full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working close with owners. Learn the fundamentals of running your own business. Use your skills and knowledge you learn to start a career in shipping logistics. Requires being a great problem solver.

Cons

Terrible pay for managers. Dead end job. No room for advancement.

Advice to Management

To owners that do not work in their own centers. Take a week and work hand in hand with your employee's once in a while. Find out how much they are worth and who this job is not suited for. It is your business, PROTECT IT.

Other Employee Reviews for The UPS Store

1. Long hours and little pay

I worked at The UPS Store part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Was able to negotiate my days and hours worked

Cons

Customers were rude and would call headquarters to report you. Headquarters were constantly giving customers discounts which partially came out of owners pockets.

Advice to Management

Headquartes needs to review the royalty structure and what royalties should actually be taken from

2. Depends on the owner and district

Former Employee - Store Manager in Columbia, SC
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Columbia, SC

I worked at The UPS Store full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I was lucky enough to have exceptional owners to work for. They weren't able to pay what they wanted but I always felt appreciated. No working crack-of-dawn mornings, late nights or Sundays. We were also lucky to have good owners around us who helped out w/questions and a terrific district manager.

Cons

So, so, so much to learn. After 5 years, including 3 years as store manager, there were still situations that I had to solve and had never seen before.

Advice to Management

The royalty rate is astronomically high which makes profits harder to make. The stores are typically too close to one another and they aren't always in the right areas. Not a lot of room for advancement unless you become a store owner. No benefits. Such is the life in franchises.