The Vermont Country Store

www.vermontcountrystore.com
  www.vermontcountrystore.com
There are newer employer reviews for The Vermont Country Store

It's been challenging and at times rewarding, I work with wonderful people, and have acquired new skills.

I have been working at The Vermont Country Store (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people, wonderful co-worker's, positive environment, and the Orton's treat their employee's very well.

Cons

It's been challenging and at times impossible to overcome the nepotism factor shown by a few supervisor's to move forward within the company, advancement should be based on skill set and the best interest of the business rather than personal preference to family and friends, but it happens in a lot of companies just disappointing to see qualified candidates overlooked.

Senior management is great, however, they could look at their mid level management and be sure they're doing what's best for the company in regards to advancement within the business. I believe it would increase moral in the North Clarendon location.

16 Other Employee Reviews for The Vermont Country Store (View Most Recent)

Significant Changes for the Good

I have been working at The Vermont Country Store

Pros

While there have been tough decisions made through the recent recession, management has tried to treat employees fairly. They are very generous with bonuses when the company does well. This year they paid the entire company a double digit bonus.

Management has identified areas of improvement to make VCS an even better company for its employees and customers. The family is very supportive and is allowing management to do what they think is right.

Cons

Living in Vermont has its pros and cons and can make it difficult to hire people. VCS sometimes can be too frugal in the short term, hurting the long term benefit.

Keep the values and heritage of the company alive. Listen to your employees and customers. And invest in your people and resources that will provide the customer even more of what they want.

Great Place to work

I have been working at The Vermont Country Store full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Smaller company that cares about it's employees. Have been there for more than 3 years and have had ups and downs but over all it is a fun place to work. Supervisors are willing to listen (most of them anyway) and help work out schedules and help you keep a work/life balance. Also the Orton family is generous with the financial programs they have put in to place including bonuses and hardship help

Cons

Company values when I started there were high. It seems over the last couple of years things have been starting to change. One change that has a lot of people upset is becoming numbers instead of names. When we pack a package for a person we are proud and want that person to know who did this for them. But to save money we are going to use numbers. Another thing is activities seem to be coming a thing of the past. Employee sales used to be a big thing but they don't seem to be happening. Promotions are not forth coming if you are a person that speaks your mind, We are told to come forward with issues but when we do we are later told we are being "negative"

Remember that in order to get the best out of people you need to treat them with respect and not like robots. taking away something as small as a name on a package can upset someone more than saying we can't pay a bonus this year. Listen to what people are buzzing about and not close your minds and say "be open to change".

There are newer employer reviews for The Vermont Country Store