The Washington Post

www.washingtonpost.com

Great co-workers and when you call people, they answer.

Reporter (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsYou get to be a part of one of the greatest legacy newsrooms on the face of the planet. The people here are whip-smart and very willing to teach you. D.C. can be a great town if it's the kind of place that fits your personality.

ConsDon't be a journalist if you want work-life balance. Especially at The Post, you have to mindful of where you are and the standards that the company name implies. The newsroom can be a bit chaotic, but if you know what you want and you do good work, that rises above all.

Advice to Senior ManagementYounger people tend to be overlooked in the newsroom a bit -- and not just because they aren't willing to put in their dues. A lot of the upper management, and some of the older reporters, are still having a problem with the shift to digital news and all that implies, so in some quarters you may have trouble finding respect for new ideas. That said, there are definitely people who will listen to you, have clout, and are willing to get things done. You just have to find them.

The Washington Post is a vibrant organization open to change.

Assignment Editor (Current Employee) Washington, DC

I have been working at The Washington Post full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: Senior management is open to new ideas and willing to allow employees to experiment… Cons: I wish there was more diversity in upper management and those identified as "star"… Advice to Senior Management: Don't fall victim to the star system. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Great brand, but that was about it.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at The Washington Post

Pros: Great brand. On site gym if you like to… Cons: Work/life depends on department management. Some departments slow to change and adapt. Very pen and paper- slow to embrace new technologies to support… Advice to Senior Management: Some people are better senior individual contributors than managers. Hold people accountable not just on deliverables, but how well they manage others. Turnover… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on The Washington Post.

Worked for The Washington Post? Contribute to the Community!