The Washington Post

There are newer employer reviews for The Washington Post

Happy I worked here

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Washington, DC
Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at The Washington Post full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Hands-down best people I've ever worked with, cool location, proud to work for a well-known brand

Cons

Things move slowly and some of the egos on the business side are inexplicably inflated

Hire smart as you've been doing for the past few years. Don't be afraid to filter out those who are afraid of change - they will hold you back

103 Other Employee Reviews for The Washington Post (View Most Recent)

Great experience being part of a print centric organization transforming itself into a digital one in the "Bezos" era

Current Employee - Newsroom-Digital in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Newsroom-Digital in Washington, DC

I have been working at The Washington Post full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Culture that naturally treats employees with respect and dignity; excitement about additional resources to compete more effectively in the future; very smart people throughout the organization; good work/life balance

Cons

Very difficult to move up in the organization; there should be a better balance between using data and common business sense to make important decisions; organizational structure does not lend itself for good collaboration and getting initiatives done quickly.

Reevaluate organizational structure

Perhaps the best journalism job one can have

Former Employee - Copy Editor/Slot in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Copy Editor/Slot in Washington, DC

I worked at The Washington Post full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing experiences almost daily in working with some of the best journalists in the business. Exciting, engaging atmosphere where quality was always the biggest consideration. Lots of friendly people.
    Senior management has changed since my time there, but I hear good things from friends who are still around.
    There's nothing like the place on election night.
    Compensation is very good to excellent.

Cons

As budgetary concerns became more serious toward the end of my time there, quite a bit more pressure was put on copy editors and supervisors as the desks evolved from separate National, Foreign, Financial, etc., to A-Section then Universal. It was difficult to try to meet the same standards we had met for years.

Despite the need to focus heavily on digital, I think a nationwide Sunday Post print edition would sell well.

There are newer employer reviews for The Washington Post