The World Bank
www.worldbank.org Washington, DC 5000+ Employees

A great work environment overall, though fairly bureaucratic

Short-term Consultant (STC) (Current Employee)
Washington, DC

I have been working at The World Bank as a contractor for more than a year

ProsThe Bank has a great work environment, surrounding by many intelligent and dedicated colleagues. Although bureaucratic, many staff are willing to engage with you informally on topics of interest.

ConsThe Bank is very bureaucratic and political, so as a junior staff member, don't expect to interact directly with Senior bank very often.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide easier pathways to allow promosing STCs to enter as staff, rather than making it very hard for them. STCs are often treated as staff, which puts them in an unfair position, since they do not have the days available to be treated as such.

Great multicultural environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at The World Bank full-time

Pros: There are several good reasons for working for the World Bank: -great institutional goals with major focus on development and poverty reduction -smart… Cons: Given the institution's size, decision making can be slow. If you are hired as… Advice to Senior Management: Make sure that you set clear goals and expectations for… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Good experience, but difficult to have a career here unless you become a tenured permanent staff member.

Security Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at The World Bank full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: In general, colleagues are hardworking, dedicated to their jobs and committed… Cons: As with most large organizations, you have to deal with the bureaucracy from time to time (though not as bad as the U.S. Government). Hierarchy… Advice to Senior Management: The hiring structure should be changed in order to have… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on The World Bank.

Worked for The World Bank? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at The World Bank reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for The World Bank CEO Jim Yong Kim. All reviews posted anonymously by The World Bank employees.