Too Cult-like

I worked at The Zappos Family full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Love them as a consumer. For online retail, it simply doesn't get any better. Smart and successful CEO/CFO.

Cons

Weird, cult-like culture. Too much effort put into "rah-rah" and not enough into genuine quality/care for employees. Hard-pressed to find anyone outside the call center much over 40. Another company that thinks they are out of the box but are so far inside the box they can't even seen the corners.

Advice to Management

You don't need over-fed, over caffeinated employees. You also shouldn't need "temp" period if you know how to hire and treat your people. You were behind the curve on social media, that "start-up" feel and everything except your actual core business (selling online). Get out of the social manipulation and get real. Understand that one size does not fit all. Just because the phoney rah-rah stuff worked elsewhere or worked earlier in the growth stage of Zappos doesn't mean it works now or is appropriate. It's alienating and excluding. So what if it doesn't cause an environment where it discriminates against protected classes? It may well create an environment where the BEST self-select out. Promoting mediocrity shouldn't be a business objective or accidental consequence.

Other Employee Reviews for The Zappos Family

1. My zappos opinion doesnt matter because they are going to amazon

Pros

90 day dollar raise. nice people

Cons

It is a warehouse job, its hard work.

2. Fantastic company culture

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at The Zappos Family as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Zappos is a second family home for me and I cherish the people I work with. Lots of fun to be had every day Very transparent management practices Strong emphasis on living and breathing the core values Open to suggestions and not afraid to do things differently Great benefits package for employees

Cons

Sometimes change is slow to happen

Advice to Management

Keep on listening and celebrating successes. Don't be afraid to give critical feedback as soon as you notice it.