There are newer employer reviews for TheFind

Awesome team, management - not so good.

I worked at TheFind

Pros

The engineering and UI team have created the most powerful product in the space, and barring the upper management, this was the nicest and most talented group of people I've ever worked with. Three years after leaving this company I still automatically refer to "us". When I visit the site now I can still see the cutting-edge ideas being tried out, and I check in often and come away with great ideas. People work hard here, but the culture supports flexible schedules and generous time off. Although I did sometimes work on urgent projects til the a.m. hours, overall I would say I probably worked under 8 hours most days.

Cons

The company seems to be succeeding in spite of constant terrible decisions on the part of upper management. Most projects, implemented on a "drop everything" basis, have nothing to do with improving the search experience, and there was a serious plague of projects when I worked there that seemed to have no justification at all except to make weak press releases about minor visual changes.

The CEO doesn't seem to respect his team, and when I was there he became inappropriately angry when confronted with reasonable concerns about priorities and projects that seemed out of whack. It also seemed to me like he had no real idea that several of his managers (including the search manager referred to by the other reviewer) were spinning everybody's wheels with no real plan to get results or measure them. The employees he respected the most seemed to be the ones who accomplished the least, and who's paychecks and expense packages were the most serious drain on our resources.

I disagree with the other reviewer that PM's weren't necessary - since they were let go, there has been little apparent improvement in the actual search, and I still see serious issues with data freshness, replicated results, and irrelevant results. Also, projects that expanded TheFind's presence, such as widgets and partnerships, seem to have vanished from the space. Finally, the brand appears to have lost its energy and individuality - the overall look seems generic.

Advice to Management

Leadership requires a strong business plan, not just pushing the idea of the minute. Focusing on the core search functionality seems pretty key to bringing back users and getting more users. It also requires a leader who inspires respect - and leaders who do not respect their own excellent teams fail to earn respect in return.

reviews filtered by
  1. good place to work .. needs better senior management

I worked at TheFind

Pros

Great environment, great people and some cool technology

Cons

Sometime u dont get heard

Advice to Management

develop a sense of forward looking vision and focus on real problems!

2. It was like working for your caring family members.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at TheFind

Pros

A very small team means getting to know people. Plus there was tons of flexibility because you dealt with things 1:1 vs having to get a group of 5-15 people together to fix one small issue or move something forward. Everyone seemed collaborative and fair and nice.

Cons

Company got acquired by Facebook. Bad because TheFind is over...

Advice to Management

Thanks for a great opportunity.

There are newer employer reviews for TheFind