Thermo Fisher Scientific

careersat.thermofisher.com
  careersat.thermofisher.com
There are newer employer reviews for Thermo Fisher Scientific

It is a good company to work for - just make sure you are in the right business unit.

Former Employee - Manager in Fremont, CA
Former Employee - Manager in Fremont, CA

I worked at Thermo Fisher Scientific

Pros

TFS communicates clear directions and have innovative processes, for example PPI - Practical Process Improvement.

Cons

If you work on a non-strategic product line, you could become invisible.

Do not be afraid to shake some boats - TFS can be brought down by the weakest link.

567 Other Employee Reviews for Thermo Fisher Scientific (View Most Recent)

Thermo Fisher Scientific: Pretty crust, but the pie filling is spoiled.

Former Employee - IT Director in Newington, NH
    Former Employee - IT Director in Newington, NH

I worked at Thermo Fisher Scientific

Pros

I am really digging to try to find positive feedback. They have some good products and some really good people on the front lines.
    A good place to learn a little about business (good and bad) if you are lucky enough to find one of the few good managers in the company.
    Not for long term growth by any means.. under two years.

Cons

Thermo began as a holding company and still has never realized their dream of being an global manufacturer in reality.
    The Corporate management has unfortunately developed an "ivory tower" view focused on profit and the stocks and not on products.
    Communication and support is so poor.
    Thermo does not value any of their talent. Often good results are not as important as improving the bottom line.
    Whistle blowers, Innovators, and Long term employees who are perceived as a threat to a manager are laid off. Self promoters move very quickly up the management ladder.
    Training does not exist. Employees are left to their own devices.. this is considered good to "weed out"inferior employees.
    Pay starts out slightly below market, but them remains there since all bonuses are based on "unrealistic" stretch goals (you enter your stretch goal, and then it gets "upped" 10%).
    Culture is growth through promotion only. Promotion is based on face time more than results... making a good show of it and self marketing is rewarded highly.
    Turnover is high, VERY high. It is a result of little opportunity and constant threat of layoff.
    There is a major disconnect between Products and Management. This is culture based. Focus is on money only and not on how to create the best product FOR the money.
    Layoffs are a yearly or quarterly reality. Often used to remove higher paid employees to trim bottom line (regardless of talent and contribution).

Find a mechanism to reach your talent that is left and really listen to them and ACT on their advice. YOU have GOT to CHANGE and be more responsible and recognize that you SERVE your employees and not the other way around. Your first thought of the day should be, "Who can I help today..." and not "How can I make myself look good to my boss."

I honestly think the bad habits are too ingrained in the culture for management to actually 'HEAR" the feedback and make positive change. Their morale and respect has eroded to almost nothing and they grasp on the FEW examples of positive feedback and say... "Hey, we are doing OK and I look good".

Thermo Scientific replaces all service management.

Current Employee - Senior Service Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Service Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Thermo Fisher Scientific

Pros

The pay scale is definitely fair, especially for the industry. The benefits package is slightly expensive but coverage is good. Thermo matches dollar for dollar on 401k up to 6% which is not as common as it used to be. Their stock purchase plan is nice.

Cons

Service management doesn't understand service and can't stay with the same philosophy for more than a year. They are metric driven and micro-manage their service group to the point of sabotaging their customer satisfaction. Field service personnel feel compelled to not report hours or stretch work out to keep overtime to a level that keeps response time for customers too high.

Treat the field service group as professionals and trust that they will succeed.

There are newer employer reviews for Thermo Fisher Scientific