Thermo Fisher Scientific

"Inexperienced Management"

Current Employee - Human Resources Generalist
Current Employee - Human Resources Generalist

I have been working at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time for more than a year

Pros

Major company growth within the organization and industry

Cons

- Inexperienced Leadership
- Corporate Politics

Depending on what level you are at, it can be great, but not every level (BU/Division/Corporate) has experience as to what the Sites actually do. Misguiding because they dont really understand business units.

511 Other Employee Reviews for Thermo Fisher Scientific (View Most Recent)

They don't understand software

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good salary and benefits, with reasonable hours (at least for my team). I liked the people I worked with. The application domain (Gas chromatograph/mass spectrometer) was very interesting. Profitable and stable company.

Cons

Software is still an appendage to hardware. software teams are splintered into small teams for each hardware line. Some poor coordination and mutual distrust between sites. Lots of process and politics to get anything done. Much energy was expended on looking good in meetings and to bosses. In process terms, they combine the worst features of agile and waterfall development.

Consolidate software organizations and appoint technical architects with the authority to kill bad products and force use of common standards and software. Hire some experienced, successful software leaders and really implement agile. Software teams need the power to refuse unreasonable requests. Cut back on meetings. Be realistic in estimates and scheduling.

Very rewarding and educational

Former Employee - Sales Manager  in  Dubuque, IA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Dubuque, IA

I worked at Thermo Fisher Scientific full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Supportive structure; vast advancement opportunities; lucrative pay scale; great purpose

Cons

Always something to learn; on going training; job is structured around working with several departments

Important to continue to develop successful, dedicated employees so that they continue to focus on the company

Thermo Fisher Scientific Response

Aug 19, 2014

Thanks for your comments. We're interested in hearing employee's pros and cons-- your review will help us create the best workplace we can.

There are newer employer reviews for Thermo Fisher Scientific

Worked for Thermo Fisher Scientific? Contribute to the Community!