The Technology is Fun. The CTO & Technical Leadership do not exist.

Current Employee - Software Engineer
Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Thermopylae Sciences & Technology full-time for more than a year

Pros

The software can provide some really interesting projects.
There are some great engineers and the work life balance is good.
There are fun parties and good activities.
The Benefits are very nice.

It could be a GREAT place to be if you didn't have to compensate for some really bad employees.

Cons

Salary lower than what you can make elsewhere.
There is no career path for tech, and the company does not have a CTO.
Government work tends to come with people who are meat in a seat. TST definitely has some of that.
There are some terribly bad people who don't work (game, screw things up, pass work off on others) but stay employed because of magic.

You have to let people who do not contribute go. It doesn't matter if they were in the service, or an old friend. It breeds and atmosphere of nepotism and then moral tanks and then those who are not in the buddy club stop pulling the dead weight.

Other Reviews for Thermopylae Sciences & Technology

Overpromise, underdeliver

Former Employee - Technical Writer  in  Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Technical Writer in Arlington, VA

I worked at Thermopylae Sciences & Technology full-time for less than a year

Pros

+ Positive work environment. A casual, Big Bang Theory-like atmosphere where the company and its employees do serious work but don’t take themselves too seriously.

+ Excellent benefits. Four weeks of PTO for sick and vacation, two flex days, flexible spending account preloaded with $5k, excellent health and dental insurance, 401k, revenue sharing, and holiday bonuses. HR always has interesting and fun events from happy hours to karaoke to keep employees happy and engaged.

+ Interesting and innovative work. I learned much about Agile software, REST software, and numerous Google apps and how a startup operates.

+ Company is always looking to improve and innovate its products, expand its market (overpromise).

Cons

- Executive management is unclear on how to accomplish said goals (underdeliver).

- Thermopylae’s system of documentation is horribly disorganized. Instead of having one centralized system for all its technical documents, there were five different systems depending on which project you were working on.

- Lack of mentorship/direction. As an entry-level technical writer I didn’t receive much if any training on how to effectively do my job and was left to my own devices to figure out what managers and engineers wanted.

- High turnover. Many of the people who were there when I started left within months of my hire, including the engineering management officer who hired me.

- Seven months after I was hired I was abruptly laid off despite a positive review of my work a few months earlier. I received no notification or warning until HR called me down and told me that there weren’t enough billable hours for technical writing. Because there was one other technical writer but was hired after me, I can only surmise that they paid her less, keeping her and firing me. You would think that in a state of downsizing, a company would follow a “first hired, last fired” rule but I guess not. As a recent college graduate trying to find and keep a job in a difficult economy while paying off debt, this layoff was just unfair. It left me reeling for three months before I found another job.

Be clear about what your goals are and have a plan to accomplish them.
    Offer some sort of mentorship or training program so that new hires can learn about this industry and effectively do their jobs.
    Notify someone weeks before their termination date if they are going to become a cost of doing business. If employees must give two weeks notice, so should HR.

Opportunity for those who want it

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Thermopylae Sciences & Technology full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great corporate culture
    Lots of opportunity; employees have to seize that if they want to grow
    Access to upper management

Cons

High expectations for everyone; this sometimes means putting in a lot of hours and making some real commitments to overcome some difficult challenges

Maintain as much integration between technical and non-technical staff as possible

There are newer employer reviews for Thermopylae Sciences & Technology.

Worked for Thermopylae Sciences & Technology? Contribute to the Community!