Things Remembered

There are newer employer reviews for Things Remembered

Stressful at times

Former Employee - Store Manager in Maplewood, MN
Former Employee - Store Manager in Maplewood, MN

I worked at Things Remembered full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Making something with sentimental value.
Seeing the customers faces when they view the product

Cons

INSANE at Christmas time and peak holiday. I had to sleep over in the store 4 times this past year to make sure everything got done on time.

OVERHIRE

168 Other Employee Reviews for Things Remembered (View Most Recent)

It's not the best job

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Things Remembered part-time (more than an year)

Pros

40% employee discount, most co-workers were pretty cool to talk to, overall easy job, got paid to do nothing a lot of times, pay was $8/hr. Seeing the costumers happy with their final product.

Cons

Everythings repetitive, you feel like you're lying to costumers sometimes with prices. Sales goals were ridiculous and pointless, we get nothing in return for meeting sale goals anyway. Upsetting seeing costumers upset with the price of engraving. The items in the store sucked, like jewelry. Cheap items sold with expensive prices. Holiday seasons are ridiculous. I enjoyed my first christmas season a lot more than my 2nd season. I didn't get a raise (my manager said I was which was the only reason I stayed). Bi-weekly pay. Barely any breaks. They will let you starve. Personally my manangers were sometimes cool. The manager manager had horrible breath. And tried too hard to be friends with everyone, like actual friends. He was annoying. I think I can go on and on... lol. I wanted to quit so many times. Off season I got 4 hours a week. So much running around back and fourth. kindof disorganized. Not enough "security" all of the small easy to steal items were in the front and managers expect us to pay attention to everyone even while youre busy with 3 other costumers.

Change pay to weekly. At least for holiday season. It's hard to buy Christmas presents with no money. And no time to shop since you're working all day and still dealing with school and finals. Maybe prizes or bonuses for having good sales goals .

Disappointing

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Things Remembered full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Customer interactions were very positive; the concept of the store is very unique; nice product.

Cons

No support from District Manager or Training Managers via email or phone. Inventory was not controlled properly therefore causing a lot of discrepancies in counts. Company does not provide a positive or motivational aspect toward sales or success; only the negative things are addressed. Sales were repeated and lack of communication regarding when sales would start and end. There was too much interference with store management, for example, not allowing a store manager to hire or fire her Assistant manager. Employee documentation was required however, it was not addressed and simply "filed". It was very difficult to achieve a raise or a promotion once hired in. They seemed to prefer to hire outside of the company, rather than promote.

A review of your current Southeast Michigan DM would be advisable; she has the highest turnover in the US. She is not available to her staffs and rarely visits her stores. She is not aware of current promotions and does not choose wisely in her choices for employees. She also was very unprofessional in terms of not corresponding with her staffs and using texting as a mode of communication with managers, rather than speaking with them personally.

There are newer employer reviews for Things Remembered