Running on Empty

Former Employee - Managing Director in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Managing Director in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Thomas Weisel Partners

Pros

Name recognition is good. Headquarters in San Francisco. Boutique size firm. There are pockets of intelligent, hard working people within the firm.

Cons

Disconnect between upper management and front lines. Management decisions concerning growth opportunities and direction of firm are questionable. Small market capitalization inhibits ability to compete with larger rivals. Lack of IPO's over the last two years has highlighted TWPG's dependence on deal flow. Th

Advice to Management

Unwind the horrendous Westwind Partners deal and get back to core competancies...trading stocks and investment banking. TWPG spent way too much capital for near nothing in return.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Associate - Equity Research

Former Employee - Associate
    Former Employee - Associate

I worked at Thomas Weisel Partners

Pros

Smaller than large firms typically means you get more exposure at a young age

Cons

Senior management leaves something to be desired which lead me to question future of firm

Advice to Management

Focus more long term strategy for the firm, invest in young in talent like you used to (loyal employees versus rotating door of expensive hires)

Great place to work.

Former Employee - Research Associate
    Former Employee - Research Associate

I worked at Thomas Weisel Partners

Pros

I worked at TWP straight out of college. While many banks and consulting firms describe themselves as having a collegiate atmosphere, TWP actually lives up to the promise. I would routinely find myself tossing around the pig skin with my coworkers at 11pm while waiting for the days work to go out. There is very little feelings of competition with your coworkers and aside fromn everyone bitching about how pay isnt that competitive, everyone is pretty happy. For example, even though i am two years out, I I had dinner with two of my coworkers just a few days ago.

Cons

This may seem like an obvious observation but trust me, it’ll hit you after your first week of working at home. Consider this: your buddies wake up in the morning, get dressed, take a drive, get to the office, have some lunch, get back on the road, and then return home. Meanwhile, you’ve been there the whole time. This may seem like a sweet deal at first, but you may find yourself growing a bit tired of the environment - you are, after all, there 24/7. No matter how great of a work environment you’ve set up for yourself, a static environment can sometimes suck the life out of you. This pain point hits home the hardest at the end of the day when you’re simply dying to get out. The problem is, your buddies are all relieved to finally be back home and don’t have the energy to head out to the bar with you. Suddenly a drive out to the gas station is a major treat.

Advice to Management

Be more straightforward.