There are newer employer reviews for Thomson Reuters

Great 10+ years at Reuters but then things started changing

Former Employee - Product Manager in New York, NY
Former Employee - Product Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Thomson Reuters full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great company with excellent benefits compared to most american companies.
Good opportunities to find other positions globally.
Development organization is trying to become agile.

Cons

The benefits used to be much better before the merger but that might be because of the times, things are pretty bad for the financial industry and it really hit TR's bottom line.
Depending on what area one works in, recent dramatic changes in management meant layoffs mostly for people with seniority and an opinion. New managers changed processes completely and hired mostly college students to cut cost... but I guess it will save the company money, in the near term.
Used to be able to work from home some days but that has been completely eliminated. Now everyone has to be in the office even if you have late night calls with your team in Asia. I thought companies in general are leaning more and more towards dispersed teams that telecommute, but no longer at TR... dispersed maybe, but you still have to waste highly valuable real estate in Times Square and be there every day.

Advice to Management

You might want to consider flattening your corporate structure somewhat... 5+ layers of management can be quite counterproductive to getting things done.
Take a look down the management ladder and see if everyone is 'really' doing a good job.

reviews filtered by

Interesting experience, no room for growth

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Eagan, MN
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Eagan, MN

I worked at Thomson Reuters as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Thomson Reuters was my dream company to work for, and I was lucky enough to be selected for an internship at the Eagan facility. With an in-house Subway and Caribou Coffee, and the opportunity to present my ideas to executives and actually have them utilized, this internship was a blast. I learned a lot, met a lot of very smart people, and helped the company at the same time.

Cons

Throughout my internship, it became obvious that there was a very real need for someone to do the job I was doing temporarily. I had some hope that I would be selected to continue doing that job after the internship experience was over. It was not ever considered, due to budget restrictions. Afterward, I applied for multiple positions with the company and completed a very lengthy interview process for one position. I was offered the position and accepted, only to receive a thirty-second call a few hours later saying that the recruiter had made a mistake - they had intended to offer the position to somebody else. Talk about disappointment. I anticipated that the hiring manager would email or send some sort of apology, especially after receiving a very polite message from me stating my disappointment. I was never contacted with an apology or explanation of any kind. I decided that if a company will treat someone that way, it is not worth pursuing employment with. I found a better job shortly after.

Advice to Management

If you are going to spend four months training an intern, and you really do need someone to do the job of the intern permanently, don't write off hiring him or her as a permanent employee. Also, never make and rescind a job offer - if you end up doing it, make sure that person knows how sorry you are about the mix-up.

Employees are furious over new benefits

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good people, flexible work arrangements (depending on your manager)

Cons

Don't plan on reading any more positive comments about the benefits TR offers. They just slashed all their employees health benefits. Basically they are providing major medical coverage. You now have to pay a penalty if your spouse/partner are on the companies plan if they are offered coverage thru their employer. No more copays, you pay the full amount of your medical costs until you hit the high deductibles. It's sad how this company is failing.

Advice to Management

Because of Sr. managements inability to grow the business and manage the company effectively, you are now putting more burden on your employees. My advice or question to you--how can you look at yourself in the mirror?

There are newer employer reviews for Thomson Reuters