There are newer employer reviews for Thomson Reuters

No room for advancement, low salary, no appreciation for employees

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eagan, MN
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eagan, MN

I worked at Thomson Reuters full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Pretty decent insurance benefts, but the benefits go downhill each year and the prices always increase.

Cons

Low wages in comparison to other companies, little room for advancement. Once in a position, you are pigeon holed. Sneaky ways of letting go of their veteran employees via layoff or termination when they make too much money or are very close to full retirement age. Rearranging departments to cluster the highest paid and closest to retirement employees so they can eliminate those positons.

reviews filtered by

Islands of brilliance surrounded by an ocean of mediocrity

Former Employee - Customer Facing in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Customer Facing in New York, NY

I worked at Thomson Reuters full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Lots of good people scattered around trying to do a good job themselves and help their coworkers to do so as well. Some very good products, and SOME very good management.

Cons

Management seems to have no clue what goes on in some parts of the company. Bad middle management happily undermines the company, slows down attempts to fix things and move forward. Good employees stuck under bad managers can't reach their potential and are often pushed out. And overall product strategy does not match what customers want. Customers feel nickeled and dimed to death - but in thousands of dollars rather then pennies. Also, pay can be quite poor and some people have to work obscenely long hours, while others get away with hardly any work at all.

Advice to Management

Find a way to detect and clean out the incompetent, heel dragging middle management. Employees who get stuck with bad managers have no one to turn to; that needs to change.

Mundane

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Standard 40 hour work week most of the time.
    - Average salary (not sure this is a pro)
    - Depending on your group, the ability to work with truly smart and diligent people (most of whom have since moved on to bigger and better things - check out our competitors and start ups eating into our market share)
    - Flex commuting depending on your manager (I never took advantage of it)

Cons

- Constant organizational restructuring
    - Constant Layoffs
    - Slashed benefits for 2013
    - Absolutely no guidance for career developement (My manager has tried - Just not a priority for the organization at large). TR often feels more like a JOB than a CAREER
    - 60% bonus cut for 2012 while the outgoing CEO collected ~$35MM payday for spearheading an acquisition that caused a $3 Billion dollar write down
    - Generally viewed as inferior in content & product compared to most of our competitors. We simply beat them on price. We're like the Wal Mart of financial data services.

Advice to Management

I honestly don't know where to start. I think it's a matter of attitude that starts at the top and trickles down.

There are newer employer reviews for Thomson Reuters