Thomson Reuters

www.thomsonreuters.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Thomson Reuters

Reuters, a great company to work for.

Former Employee - Vice President of Shared Service in Saint Louis, MO
Former Employee - Vice President of Shared Service in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Thomson Reuters full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company offered excellent benefits, an opportunity to work internationally, and offered opportunities to move to various roles within the company.

Cons

The company placed a great deal of emphasis on savings, but sometimes ignored the ramifications of loss of quality as a result of cutting costs.

While cost savings are important, quality should also be considered when making decisions. Offshoring activities to the cheapest location to cut costs isn't always the best or most appropriate decision. The old saying, "You get what you pay for" is often true.

2842 Other Employee Reviews for Thomson Reuters (View Most Recent)

Depends if you work on Eikon or not.........I don't, so I'm a dead man walking

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time

Pros

I'll have to get back to you on that one.......

Cons

I really wish I worked in the same team as some of these lucky people who have been posting positive reviews. But because my team doesn't work on the clunker that is "Eikon", it has been completed annihilated, and so have most other teams that I work with. I suspect I will be gone in December 2014, never to work or to contribute to the economy again.

It is incredible that the senior management are so intellectually bankrupt that they have lapped-up everything that the Eikon management have sold them. (That is the flagship product, widely regarded by most as a piece of junk). The management actually, seriously believe that closing-down anything that isn't Eikon.....simply because it isn't Eikon.......is actually a good plan, even if those other products have loyal customer bases, and generate millions of dollars.

I think the bottom line, echoed in other reviews, is that the management genuinely don't care about their employees, from the level of the most trivial thing, up to the most major. I suspect a lot of this is down to incompetence and the desire to save money, rather than any personal vindictiveness. For example, at the trivial level, people with 10-years long service awards sit next to people with 18 or 19 years service who have never received one. At the larger level, ex-Thomson employees are always made redundant in preference to ex-Reuters employees, as the former have their redundancy payments capped. The feeling of unease and mistrust this creates is almost palpable.

And never underestimate the ability of the company to be downright crass. An e-mail of 8 paragraphs begins with 7 paragraphs of how great and wonderful the company is doing, and how brilliant everyone is, is then followed up by a final paragraph announcing 3000 redundancies for no good reason.

Run.......as fast as you can.

You need to get out of your ivory towers and meet your employees, and listen to them. Not once has any senior manager ever visited my building to ask for my opinion or advice. If you carry on listening to the Eikon Snake-oil salesmen, then ThomsonReuters will be dead within 5 years.

3 years with the company; Pushed out with voicemail to avoid FMLA

Former Employee - Tech
    Former Employee - Tech

I worked at Thomson Reuters full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Large company with many areas to move within.

Cons

Too many crucial changes in too little of a timeframe. Too many politics, and 'gossip' or 'hearsay' are given excessive merit. Hurry up and wait.

Your employees have souls, hearts, and lives, which exist outside of the office. If you believe they might be having a hard time, and you see that (on top of the things you 'hear') - ask them about what 'might' be going on. Berating them on a personal level so loudly most of the team can hear 'verbatim', just isn't right.

There are newer employer reviews for Thomson Reuters