There are newer employer reviews for Thomson Reuters

Good, Not Great

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Boston, MA
Current Employee - Business Analyst in Boston, MA

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Global company creates great opportunity to communicate with colleagues around the world. There are always internal opportunities and the work/life balance is unlike any other. Work from home opportunities depending on your manager as well as flexible hours. When you leave at the end of the day, you aren't expected to be "online" while you are home. Work and Life are completely separate.

Cons

The office culture varies depending on your location. I've been to offices around the US, some are great where employees are communicating, having fun, the office is on its own campus and then there are locations where the employees keep to themselves and do the 8-5 grind and go home without speaking a word. Doesn't make for a fun work day. Since the company is so large, it feels like there is a lot of miscommunication. It may take days to reach the correct person for help- I guess that comes with a big company, but I think they could come up with a better way.

reviews filtered by

I'm a sales rep in the Small Law Division.

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Tremendous people until you get above middle management. Flagship industry product of Westlaw that I am lucky to sell. Home office support is tremendous until you get above middle management. Opportunity to earn a very good living for 3-4 years. Great benefits and I love working from home. Great for self starters that don't need to be motivated. Training that you're provided is GREAT and always a chance to get more if you need help.

Cons

1) Sales force turns over every 4 years. That right there tells everyone with a brain that Thomson has a management problem. They are clueless when it comes to keeping great people because they are all eventually forced out due to the unrealistic quotas and the ridiculous focus on the short term.
    2) Sales force has ZERO loyalty to the company because they know that it's short term job .. max 5-6 years if you're lucky, but more likely just a couple. This results in the reps managing their numbers and taking whatever shortcuts they can to meet quota.
    3) Ridiculous systems that make for an unreal amount of non-selling busy work, lost productivity and tremendous resentment toward management.
    4) C-level management is clueless when it comes to understanding the anger that lawyers and law firms have toward Thomson because of the perceived price gouging. This is a result of too many MBA's that don't have a clue in understanding the customer. I had a great customer tell me last week that the West Publishing brand has been 100% decimated by Thomson.

Advice to Management

Take a look at your stock price over the last 15-20 years and you'll get an idea of how you have performed. Too much short term emphasis which has really hurt Thomson badly. The Board Of Directors should be sued for malpractice for allowing the ridiculous buyout of Reuters at nose bleed valuations. This was a brutal mistake that has absolutely hammered the stock price, caused huge layoffs, forced ridiculous price increases in other divisions to try and make up numbers and created an absurd amount of pressure on the employees.

The Thomson family needs to take a more active role because their Board and Executives have cost them BILLIONS of dollars and created a poor working environment for many employees.

2. good with everything

I have been working at Thomson Reuters

Pros

good with all the people and project

Cons

not much to comment on this part

There are newer employer reviews for Thomson Reuters