Thomson West

www.thomsonreuters.com
  www.thomsonreuters.com
There are newer employer reviews for Thomson West

For a large corporation, TRW is a good place to work

Current Employee - Commissions Specialist in Eagan, MN
Current Employee - Commissions Specialist in Eagan, MN

I have been working at Thomson West as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

-Thomson West often hires from their pool of contractors for permanent positions.
-Regular employees get an employee picnic, a few little perks upon hire, and various small bonuses throughout the year like a free turkey before Thanksgiving.
-environment is generally positive.
-culture is open to diversity, including diversity in gender identity and sexual orientation.
-Matching funds for donations are available.
-Employees and contractors are eligible for discounted tickets to movies, sports games, and other similar events.
-Employees (but not contractors, temps or interns) are eligible to enter drawings for various event tickets.
-While it's not particularly special, a variety of free tea bags are available along with coffee, decaf and hot water.
-Employees are encouraged to network and given workable channels (via the Hub website) to do so.
-Caribou Coffee and Subway inside building, along with full cafeteria
-TW encourages employees to stay healthy and active: they have walking paths on site, a fleet of bikes that employees (including contractors, interns and temps) can borrow at no cost, and a "free fruit day" each week when every employee can take two pieces of the fruit of the day at no cost.

Cons

- As a contractor, many benefits are not available to me
- contractors cannot enter the drawing for free event tickets and we never get the free bonus gifts like turkeys
- General feeling of under-appreciation among contractors
- too much mandatory overtime
- too much empty "token" gestures

If I could advise management, I would suggest fewer token gestures and more genuine appreciation (a free dessert card feels more like a slap in the face than appreciation). Also consider productivity studies before deciding on a week of 10 hour days followed by working one Saturday - I have a feeling that productivity declines enough that it's hardly worth it to run your employees so hard, let alone pay for the OT. As a contractor, I cannot comment on benefits or salary levels, although for the amount of work and expertise required of me in addition to a four-year degree being requisite for my position I should be paid more.

73 Other Employee Reviews for Thomson West (View Most Recent)

O

Current Employee - CE&E in Eagan, MN
    Current Employee - CE&E in Eagan, MN

I have been working at Thomson West

Pros

People are great to work with at peer level

Cons

Expect more work from less employees & lots of unfinished work before implimented

HIRE more people in Eagan MN

Managers are hit and miss.

Former Employee - Software Test Engineer I in Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Software Test Engineer I in Eagan, MN

I worked at Thomson West

Pros

Excellent benefits package, talented developers, professional environment, attempting to go agile on many of the technology projects (aka more natural work approach)

Cons

Stressful experience working with incompetent testing manager who did not have any respect whatsoever from the development manager or project champion....none of the above had a grasp on the true scope of a data migration project, and therefore were not able to effectively communicate to their direct reports manageable expectations.

Time management of direct reports got out of hand....tracking people's time down to the 2 hr level of granularity backfired on project progress.

There are newer employer reviews for Thomson West