Thomson West

Solid growth, professional atmosphere

Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY
Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I worked at Thomson West

Pros

There is career advancement at Thomson West. However, even though the "merger" happened over 5 years ago and Thomson was the acquiring company, the Minnesota-based West Publishing culture still prevails.

Cons

If you are in the Eagan office, then you are in the center of the universe. In the field, it can be difficult to get things done without travelling out to Minnesota.

For a large organization, West is fairly nimble and there are a lot of smart people in the organization.

73 Other Employee Reviews for Thomson West (View Most Recent)

I have never left a day at this company unhappy. People treat you with respect.

Current Employee - Manager in Eagan, MN
    Current Employee - Manager in Eagan, MN

I have been working at Thomson West

Pros

The people are respectful and motivated. Regular hours and the suburban location. Many in management support taking risks to improve the way we go about our work.

Cons

Pay is average. Some management positions are not posted.

Keep up the communication. Keep an eye on the new generation (Millenials) and how they operate/what motivates them.

Run from this place as fast as you can.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eagan, MN

I worked at Thomson West

Pros

The free coffee in the C building is pretty good.

Cons

Management cares only about the appearance of things and not for real suggestions for improving processes. Promotions and advancement are not based on ability and people magically appear in higher positions when no one else knew that a position was open.
    Compensation and pay raises are too closely tied to an immediate supervisor's personal opinion of an employee. Despite the fact that the reviews are supposed to be objective and based on facts, when managers fail to follow this procedure, there is no recourse.
    I had a rotating array of at least half a dozen people to whom I reported to at any given moment.

Cull the herd of numerous middle managers that contribute nothing to the company other than filling chairs in constant and unnecessary meetings.
    Institute procedures to allow employees to have a voice in the review of management.

There are newer employer reviews for Thomson West