ThoughtWorks expects all employees to work 60 hours + more

Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- smart people - technology leaders - positive culture - very poor management and leadership, with little to no qualifications

Cons

- "relationships matter more than results" is what the management states as a core value, so ti comes down to who you know and who likes you, rather than results, which encourages politics over productivity - the average employment is less than 2 yrs - company lacks diversity, below the industry average, although it's a core value and objective - equality among workers doesn't really exist

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

EXCELLENT place to work and learn - Beware of travel!

Current Employee - Lead Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Lead Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at ThoughtWorks

Pros

* Amazing group of co-workers who are smart, on-the-ball, and leaders in their field * You WILL learn a lot, no matter how "expert" you think you are * Excellent opportunities to meet amazing people in the industry - not just at ThoughtWorks, but at client sites! * Great benefits package * Decent compensation, mid-level for San Francisco * Lots of travel to lots of places * Ton of support to have consultants experience offices in other countries for 3, 6, and 12 month moves! * You will gain status on airlines and hotels QUICK, and you'll love the perks that come with it. After your first year, of course * You can pay for your travel & expenses with your own credit card, practically quadrupling your rewards accumulation. My Amex basically bought my vacation! * AMAZING corporate culture that rests on 3 pillars - sustainable business, technical excellent, and social justice. The company does VERY WELL (IMHO) in balancing these 3 pillars, with significant effort placed on social justice. It makes you feel like you're part of something bigger than IT. Or your job.

Cons

* Travel is either a pro or a con. For me, it was a pro in the beginning, but quickly became a con after I met someone special. * Expense policy is slightly out of whack. $35/day for food while traveling? Uhm, IRS allows $75. WTF? * ThoughtWorks is growing QUICKLY - normally a good thing, but I'm not sure if management has a handle on the logistics of growing so rapidly. Also not sure if the rapid growth will be sustained in another recession. That worried me. What goes up... * HR is a nightmare * Recruitment is a nightmare * ThoughtWorks is a bit of a personality cult around its chairman, Roy Singham. He makes grand gestures around equality and freedom of speech - but when your opinion differs from his, he invokes Dictator status at ThoughtWorks and squashes any and all dissent. Personally, I feel this runs counter to Pillar 3 but at the end of the day, he owns 97% of the company. It's his to do what he pleases.

Advice to Management

* Separate Roy's beliefs from ThoughtWorks internal policies. There are too many contradictions (see above). * Do more research on being able to be paid in stock by startups. If others can do it, so can TW * Spend less money. The amount of spend vs. save (for hard times) was a constant worry for me. * Stop hiring so aggressively. Do it slowly, do it right. * Send everyone in recruiting to some kind of "Recruiting 101" class. Seriously.

I've learned so much, and been given an opportunity to work at high profile clients

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at ThoughtWorks

Pros

Smart people. Problem Solving Culture. Open. Flat. Influential Company. Agile (leaning towards XP rather than Scrum). Martin Fowler is the Chief Scientist. There's opportunity to try out other offices globally after you've served a year in the company.

Cons

It can be chaotic at times. Even as a consultant from an esteemed company, clients can sometimes ignore good advice. ThoughtWorks occasionally signs work that's not good for staff.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing without selling out to a) unsustainable pace, b) big evil corporations. Grow the influencers inside.