There are newer employer reviews for ThoughtWorks

Just started and the orientation was great!

Current Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great value system
- Smart people
- Everyone seems involved
- Clear sense of diversity

Cons

- Considerable travel
- Not heavy with processes so can seem confusing in the beginning

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

ThoughtWorks expects all employees to work 60 hours + more

Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- smart people
    - technology leaders
    - positive culture
    - very poor management and leadership, with little to no qualifications

Cons

- "relationships matter more than results" is what the management states as a core value, so ti comes down to who you know and who likes you, rather than results, which encourages politics over productivity
    - the average employment is less than 2 yrs
    - company lacks diversity, below the industry average, although it's a core value and objective
    - equality among workers doesn't really exist

EXCELLENT place to work and learn - Beware of travel!

Current Employee - Lead Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Lead Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at ThoughtWorks

Pros

* Amazing group of co-workers who are smart, on-the-ball, and leaders in their field
    * You WILL learn a lot, no matter how "expert" you think you are
    * Excellent opportunities to meet amazing people in the industry - not just at ThoughtWorks, but at client sites!
    * Great benefits package
    * Decent compensation, mid-level for San Francisco
    * Lots of travel to lots of places
    * Ton of support to have consultants experience offices in other countries for 3, 6, and 12 month moves!
    * You will gain status on airlines and hotels QUICK, and you'll love the perks that come with it. After your first year, of course
    * You can pay for your travel & expenses with your own credit card, practically quadrupling your rewards accumulation. My Amex basically bought my vacation!
    * AMAZING corporate culture that rests on 3 pillars - sustainable business, technical excellent, and social justice. The company does VERY WELL (IMHO) in balancing these 3 pillars, with significant effort placed on social justice. It makes you feel like you're part of something bigger than IT. Or your job.

Cons

* Travel is either a pro or a con. For me, it was a pro in the beginning, but quickly became a con after I met someone special.
    * Expense policy is slightly out of whack. $35/day for food while traveling? Uhm, IRS allows $75. WTF?
    * ThoughtWorks is growing QUICKLY - normally a good thing, but I'm not sure if management has a handle on the logistics of growing so rapidly. Also not sure if the rapid growth will be sustained in another recession. That worried me. What goes up...
    * HR is a nightmare
    * Recruitment is a nightmare
    * ThoughtWorks is a bit of a personality cult around its chairman, Roy Singham. He makes grand gestures around equality and freedom of speech - but when your opinion differs from his, he invokes Dictator status at ThoughtWorks and squashes any and all dissent. Personally, I feel this runs counter to Pillar 3 but at the end of the day, he owns 97% of the company. It's his to do what he pleases.

Advice to Management

* Separate Roy's beliefs from ThoughtWorks internal policies. There are too many contradictions (see above).
    * Do more research on being able to be paid in stock by startups. If others can do it, so can TW
    * Spend less money. The amount of spend vs. save (for hard times) was a constant worry for me.
    * Stop hiring so aggressively. Do it slowly, do it right.
    * Send everyone in recruiting to some kind of "Recruiting 101" class. Seriously.