Thumbtack

www.thumbtack.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Thumbtack

Great place to intern and learn more about marketing services online

Former Employee - Marketing Intern in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Marketing Intern in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Thumbtack

Pros

Internship spanned across multiple areas of the start up process, given the chance to gain experience in all areas of building a site geared toward services. Daily interaction with executives, all managers are very open to answer questions and assist with any problems, completely hands on. Continuous learning environment. Gained a lot of experience in a short amount of time. Environment reminded me of Google, interns could come to work in comfortable clothing, use their own laptops, and were given free range of offices to choose the most comfortable work environment; believed that if interns were comfortable, there would be great efficiency and productivity.

Cons

During my internship at Thumbtack I can honestly say there were no downsides. The executives/managers even brought in a chef to cook interns lunch and dinner so that we could continue working while getting a great meal!

As mentioned before, GREAT MANAGEMENT! Extremely hands on and friendly, complete transparency and trust from the CEO down to each intern.

24 Other Employee Reviews for Thumbtack (View Most Recent)

Best place to work.Great team, Great mission.

I have been working at Thumbtack

Pros

Thumbtack provides a Extensive range of perks and makes an effort to stay competitive with their salaries. They also encourage employees to always be improving themselves and to take online courses together or even teach eachother things in an informal classroom setting if they are so inclined. The culture is warm and encouraging, and it definitely inspires great work from the employees.

Cons

With rapid growth there are of course some growing pains. For example, we are making out a new org structure for one of the departments and the changes were not communicated to the right people at the right time. It raised questions and caused the existing team, which was very passionate about what they were doing, to question decisions. That said, I think everybody learned from the experience, and now we have a VP of HR to help with this sort of thing!

The company is incredibly transparent but somehow key decisions aren't getting communicated across teams. Resources that are largely locked within certain areas today could be made more available to others people. Consider hiring more experienced staff across the board so there is a diminished need for everyone to be learning on the job at the same time. More experienced staff could also provide leadership and guidance that is somewhat lacking today.

Such a great place to work, even the growing pains are fun!

I have been working at Thumbtack full-time (less than a year)

Pros

How refreshing to be surrounded by so many smart people! Thumbtack is a place where every voice has value. No one's input is above or beneath anyone else's. As a mid-level manager, I am empowered to make the decisions I need for my team. When I request resources I am extremely well supported, and I feel my team makes valued contributions toward long-range company goals. The transparency, while at times overwhelming, is incredibly refreshing compared to other industries I've worked in.

Cons

The culture of transparency contributes to information overload, which means internal communication isn't nearly as effective as it could be. I believe this will be resolved eventually but it's definitely a pain point today. Also, my compensation is lower than I would like, but I get incredible work-life balance and very interesting work to off-set that. So my salary is okay for today, but will likely be a problem for me a year from now.

Our transparency is a great thing. It hurts us when the flow of information becomes a flood, and then a tsunami. Other reviewers have pointed out key decisions aren't communicated across teams. I don't think the problem is these decisions aren't communicated. I think that information is lost in the sea of updates we swim through daily. We should prioritize for this year establishing some internal communication methods to help people filter data quickly and key in on what's relevant to their team. You may need to hire someone with internal communications experience for this.

We are undergoing some growing pains; this is inherent to any company in our position in the marketplace and it's a good problem to have. But it does mean that processes and systems that got us by and were working even 3 months ago are hurting us today. Some people who've been with the company longer than I have (less than 1 year) are having trouble shifting from the mindset of fixing a problem today towards a mindset of fixing things that aren't problems yet, but will be. The first approach gets us through the next quarter, the latter sets us up for long-term success. Some training and coaching on change management for everyone in a leadership role would help. Hiring more people who are future-oriented in their decision making (as opposed to fire-fighters, focused solely on dealing with the urgent problems at hand) would also help.

There are newer employer reviews for Thumbtack