Thumbtack

www.thumbtack.com
There are newer employer reviews for Thumbtack

Great place to be introduced to the start-up world

Former Employee - Summer Analyst in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Summer Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Thumbtack as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

I worked as a summer intern, focusing on data analysis and SEO. This was a wonderful opportunity for me, since I had very little experience in the field, but with a little help, I was able to accomplish a lot. The company is so small that I was daily able to see all the different aspects that went into running a company. Not only are the people smart and driven, the work atmosphere was very focused on making the company cohesive - Friday meetings where everyone shared a little of what they were working on, daily all-company lunches and dinners (with a chef!), ping pong table, etc. I had a wonderful summer and I would highly recommend Thumbtack to anyone. Also, they just raised a lot of money from Sequoia!

Cons

There were very few downsides to working at Thumbtack - and any downside seems more to do with characteristics of start-ups, rather than with Thumbtack in particular. Since it is such a small company, don't expect them to do any hand-holding. No one really has much time for that, but they're very willing to point out a couple helpful things if you ask. Also, it sounds like the particular chef they previous hired is leaving, but I'm sure they will hire a good replacement.

I think very highly of the management!

23 Other Employee Reviews for Thumbtack (View Most Recent)

Great place to intern and learn more about marketing services online

Former Employee - Marketing Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Intern in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Thumbtack

Pros

Internship spanned across multiple areas of the start up process, given the chance to gain experience in all areas of building a site geared toward services. Daily interaction with executives, all managers are very open to answer questions and assist with any problems, completely hands on. Continuous learning environment. Gained a lot of experience in a short amount of time. Environment reminded me of Google, interns could come to work in comfortable clothing, use their own laptops, and were given free range of offices to choose the most comfortable work environment; believed that if interns were comfortable, there would be great efficiency and productivity.

Cons

During my internship at Thumbtack I can honestly say there were no downsides. The executives/managers even brought in a chef to cook interns lunch and dinner so that we could continue working while getting a great meal!

As mentioned before, GREAT MANAGEMENT! Extremely hands on and friendly, complete transparency and trust from the CEO down to each intern.

Such a great place to work, even the growing pains are fun!

I have been working at Thumbtack full-time (less than a year)

Pros

How refreshing to be surrounded by so many smart people! Thumbtack is a place where every voice has value. No one's input is above or beneath anyone else's. As a mid-level manager, I am empowered to make the decisions I need for my team. When I request resources I am extremely well supported, and I feel my team makes valued contributions toward long-range company goals. The transparency, while at times overwhelming, is incredibly refreshing compared to other industries I've worked in.

Cons

The culture of transparency contributes to information overload, which means internal communication isn't nearly as effective as it could be. I believe this will be resolved eventually but it's definitely a pain point today. Also, my compensation is lower than I would like, but I get incredible work-life balance and very interesting work to off-set that. So my salary is okay for today, but will likely be a problem for me a year from now.

Our transparency is a great thing. It hurts us when the flow of information becomes a flood, and then a tsunami. Other reviewers have pointed out key decisions aren't communicated across teams. I don't think the problem is these decisions aren't communicated. I think that information is lost in the sea of updates we swim through daily. We should prioritize for this year establishing some internal communication methods to help people filter data quickly and key in on what's relevant to their team. You may need to hire someone with internal communications experience for this.

We are undergoing some growing pains; this is inherent to any company in our position in the marketplace and it's a good problem to have. But it does mean that processes and systems that got us by and were working even 3 months ago are hurting us today. Some people who've been with the company longer than I have (less than 1 year) are having trouble shifting from the mindset of fixing a problem today towards a mindset of fixing things that aren't problems yet, but will be. The first approach gets us through the next quarter, the latter sets us up for long-term success. Some training and coaching on change management for everyone in a leadership role would help. Hiring more people who are future-oriented in their decision making (as opposed to fire-fighters, focused solely on dealing with the urgent problems at hand) would also help.

There are newer employer reviews for Thumbtack