Thumbtack

www.thumbtack.com
  www.thumbtack.com
There are newer employer reviews for Thumbtack

Amazing team tackling huge opportunity

Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Thumbtack full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Be surrounded by incredibly sharp and driven team members. From engineering to customer operations the team is really, really strong.
- Work in a collaborative, chill atmosphere. While everyone wants to build something great, people are very relaxed at work, which fosters a friendly, warm and collaborative environment. It's driven by the personalities of the founders.
- Have a meaningful impact on people's lives. We're helping our customers accomplish some of their most important projects (e.g., putting a new roof over their home or planning their wedding). We're also helping our professionals grow their businesses and put food on the table for their families. This is really gratifying. And it's not just for people right around us in SF, but it's happening across the country.

Cons

- While the team is long on smarts, it's not very experienced. For people early in their career, there's plenty of mentorship, but for those who have some experience, it's hard to find a lot of mentorship within the company. The team is actively looking to bring in more experienced team members, which should change this balance in the next few months.

16 Other Employee Reviews for Thumbtack (View Most Recent)

There are so many great things about working at Thumbtack.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Thumbtack full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- The people that work here are amazing. They are smart, driven, and thoughtful, and most importantly they are people that you want to be around. Thumbtack is a community, and the culture is awesome. Please spend time with each other because they want to. For example, today our book club met (we're reading Season of the Witch--it's great) and we recently started a rock climbing group.
    - The work is meaningful. Thumbtack has helped so many small business owners grow their businesses, and their stories are inspiring.
    - The work is flexible. As a software engineer, I have a lot of autonomy and the freedom to work when and where I am most productive.
    - The company is super transparent.
    - The perks are great. A yoga instructor comes to the office and teaches a class every Thursday morning. We have an amazing chef who cooks super healthy lunch and dinner every day.

Cons

- The office is a little cramped and loud right now, but that's because we're growing so much! We're moving into a new office soon.

Great place to be introduced to the start-up world

Former Employee - Summer Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Summer Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Thumbtack as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I worked as a summer intern, focusing on data analysis and SEO. This was a wonderful opportunity for me, since I had very little experience in the field, but with a little help, I was able to accomplish a lot. The company is so small that I was daily able to see all the different aspects that went into running a company. Not only are the people smart and driven, the work atmosphere was very focused on making the company cohesive - Friday meetings where everyone shared a little of what they were working on, daily all-company lunches and dinners (with a chef!), ping pong table, etc. I had a wonderful summer and I would highly recommend Thumbtack to anyone. Also, they just raised a lot of money from Sequoia!

Cons

There were very few downsides to working at Thumbtack - and any downside seems more to do with characteristics of start-ups, rather than with Thumbtack in particular. Since it is such a small company, don't expect them to do any hand-holding. No one really has much time for that, but they're very willing to point out a couple helpful things if you ask. Also, it sounds like the particular chef they previous hired is leaving, but I'm sure they will hire a good replacement.

I think very highly of the management!

There are newer employer reviews for Thumbtack