There are newer employer reviews for Thumbtack

Awesome environment with talented people

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Thumbtack full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Exceptional people; pretty much everyone is very good at what they do. No tolerance for jerks and a nice departure from the increasingly common "brogrammer" startup culture. Lots of opportunity for trying new things and stretching yourself. Everyone really cares about what the company is trying to accomplish. Solid work/life balance - people work hard, but no one is afraid to take vacation or work from home if the cable guy's coming.

Cons

The flip side of lots of independence is that there isn't the degree of mentorship or training you might find a more established company - you really have to seek it out and make it happen.

Other Employee Reviews for Thumbtack

Cool place to work - hip, friendly, and lots of young, smart people.

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Thumbtack as a contractor

Pros

Some of the most open minded and intelligent people I've ever worked with. Great food, great culture, great overall feel - I was always excited to come to work there.

Cons

Company has some growing pains and confusion on where leadership comes from.

This team is awesome and the opportunity is incredible

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Thumbtack full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- The team is really amazing. People are whip smart, thoughtful, and hard working while simultaneously being humble and earnest. Thumbtack optimizes its hiring process for people who are 1. humble, 2. really super smart, and 3. mission-driven. You can see the outcome of this process in the current team - I seriously feel like I learn so much from my colleagues - both on a professional and personal level - every day. I feel so lucky and blessed to be here. - The opportunity is incredible for two reasons: 1. the enormous size of what we're going after is insane - we're trying to improve the way the entire professional services economy is run globally!! - and 2. we're helping real people in the real world. Literally every day we have service professionals write in to us and thank us for building Thumbtack - "I was down on my luck and out of work, then I found Thumbtack. Thumbtack has transformed my life. I'm now able to put food on the table for my family again, feel proud of myself again, I just bought a new pickup truck and am finally able to invest in myself..." Seriously. Every day. I can't tell you how good it feels to build a product that affects so many people in the real world so positively.

Cons

- The distance between the current product and its potential is huge - this can be frustrating. I sometimes wish we were able to move 10x faster than we currently do! - It's a relatively young company - there is tons of room here for people of all experience levels but particularly for people who have been around the block and can contribute managerial and general company-building expertise.