ThyssenKrupp Elevator

Repeat Review

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  Anchorage, AK
Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Anchorage, AK

I have been working at ThyssenKrupp Elevator

Pros

Fair to good benefit package. Holidays are generally days one is given off as the offices are closed. If the Holiday is one where as the office needs to be open, it is considered a "floating holiday" and the day off can be used at a later date (typically must be used with the same pay-period however, so flexibility isn't real great.)

Cons

"National Purchasing" system idea was supposed to save $$. Time wasted trying to figure out what job a received shipment goes to, where costs for this are to be charged, not to mention the fact that the persons in charge of shipping the items (or ordering them from a vendor for shipment) do not seem to pay any notice to a change of address when a branch moves or the ship-to address requested in the case the item is for a job/repair out of town. So, things are received at the wrong location, then must be re-directed to the correct location; costing much more in time and dollars. This whole system has just caused more headache, wasted time-translating to higher costs to the branches, etc.
TKE has the "wonderful" timekeeping system. Employees, except of course "management" and "field" must punch in & out on a computer (ie: employees who actually make the higher wages, and less accountability for how the days time is spent in actuality). The system "rounds" as a normal time clock does, so one can actually lose or gain a quarter hour pay if the system is responding slowly when trying to log-in/log-out or punch in or out. Also, because of "time-keeping", the work day is actually less productive. Prior to all this I would finish up tasks @ the end of the day before I went home (tied up loose ends). Then if it did take me an extra 15 minutes to complete something so the next day could begin new or a manager needed something they could get a start 1st thing in the morning instead of waiting for me to get started & get it completed, myself & my manager knew that I had 15 minutes "banked" so if lunch traffic caused a delay returning to work or Friday came & the weeks tasks were complete, I could go ahead & leave 15 minutes early. With this system that is supposed to advance "honesty", forget going any extra mile or even foot! That's OK though, the lower level employees are sure to be there when a customer calls after management staff have left for the day when they feel it, and the customer wants to speak with them, and as they have called it a day, they often do not respond to calls on their mobile phones. Field personnel typically aren't as bad, but being that there is no real way their time is monitored, except what they say it is, leaving early when the weather is nice, spending the better part of the day on personal business, extended lunch hours, late starts to the work day, and of course "if management has already left for the day, why should I keep working?" occurs.

Don't worry about your neighbors back yard until you've cleaned your own back porch. (ie: Quit trying to blame or look to non-management/ office & manufacturing, etc. as the reason for the real problems that make a difference in the company overall.) Poor decision making or not making a decision, not following through on responsibilities, not taking responsibility for poor decisions, lack of accountability for actions (both ones own & other managers and or field/office employees, etc.) decreases the motivation, satisfaction, determination, etc. of those effectively "victimized".

66 Other Employee Reviews for ThyssenKrupp Elevator (View Most Recent)

Management staff not selected due to being best suited for position, nor kept due to ability to be effective.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Anchorage, AK
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Anchorage, AK

I have been working at ThyssenKrupp Elevator

Pros

Relaxed environment. Allowed to wear what is decent, yet comfortable to work. Unless attire is in poor condition from use or may be considered indecent, Comfortable clothing-jeans, shirts, sandals, tennis shdueoes, etc. are acceptable.

Cons

Management personnel, lead technicians, etc. are again not hired nor retained due to competence. Often it seems to be "a quick solution to an immediate problem" that decides who fills a necessary position. Management staff push off work to other staff members to do that they clearly are capable & have time to do. They are just too lazy or feel that it is beneath them to do anything considered menial. Against company policy, spouses" are hired together for the higher level positions, then they make it their goal to hire as many family members into the office they now "control". Frequently, because they are "in good with the boss" they sit in the office visiting or go home early, and claim "office time" or "shop time" to fill in most of their time to 40 hours. Branch management staff generally lead with ego, not brains, causing poor showing for quarterly profits. Regional management above them just seem to pay no attention to the losses & what they are attributed to. Just seem to take the view "well try to do better in the future, never mind that people under you who do not make the money you make are getting shafted, nor the customers". "Oh by the way, here is your bonus check we promised."

Their latest & greatest brainiac idea was a timekeeping system to keep the lowest level & lowest paid employees honest, I guess. Meanwhile, non-time recording management leave for longer lunches & early in the day frequently under the guise of an appointment with a client or new job potential to survey. If they did that as often as claimed, new contracts & new construction would be much more prevalent! The union technicians also are sort of on a honor system. They simply put in a job they claim they did maintenance at & the time. No further questions ask even when generally the customer has not signed the work ticket to verify they ever were there versus off doing what they want or going home early, unless a customer complains, then maybe a question is raised! Gee, I thought that was a managers duty to review time, keep in touch with clients to be sure they are satisfied and getting what they are paying for,but I guess that is not in a job description anywhere. My guess is that one of the companies mottos are "wages under $20/hour personnel, keep your thumb on them, but $30+/hour, you are so valuable & trustworthy, we wouldn't dare bother you!"

Wake up & pay attention!!!!! In these times of stiffer competition for customers and profits, the office personnel (non-management & the like) are the backbone that actually keep the customers satisfied by helping them as and when we can as soon aspossible. Personnel who are virtually guaranteed a paycheck due to being union or "management" have no real anything on the line, and as long as their pay & bonuses are forthcoming, many could care less about the negative effects and/or impacts they have on an office or TKE as a company!

no support

Former Employee - Account Representative  in  Southeastern, PA
    Former Employee - Account Representative in Southeastern, PA

I worked at ThyssenKrupp Elevator

Pros

Gas card, car allowance, and some easy commissions. Manager was very flexible when dealing with time off, etc. It is good to go out and deal with all different sorts of people, property managers, owners, etc. Very easy money converting new elevator purchases to extended warranties; most owners of new elevators want to stick with original manufacturer.

Cons

Poor management, no communication, complete lack of training. "Training" consists of going out in the field for 3 months working with the mechanics. Basically you are a helper for this amount of time, and though I do place value on being out there with these guys, there are many aspects of the business that I was required to learn on my own. Ungodly amounts of paperwork. Service manager had to approve hours and material on every repair order (before delivered to customer) so had to rely on whatever was convenient for him. These could have only been a challenge at my branch, but all of this was enough for me to leave.

Provide full training and development for your new hires.

There are newer employer reviews for ThyssenKrupp Elevator

Worked for ThyssenKrupp Elevator? Contribute to the Community!