There are newer employer reviews for Tidewater Transit

Driver for 4 years here.

Current Employee - Tanker Driver in Kingsport, TN
Current Employee - Tanker Driver in Kingsport, TN

I have been working at Tidewater Transit full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Hometime is better than most other companies in my area. Pretty driver friendly company in my terminal (Kingsport) and trucks are above avg.

Cons

However, pay is lower, benefits are very poor (health ins. Is worst I've ever had due to very high cost and poor plan) no sick days, only $50 holiday pay and 401 k is average. Management is only out for themselves. They will not go to bat for drivers and are micromanaging the company way too much. They act like your best friend and try to make you feel important then their actions speak louder than words. I bust my butt for them with no appreciation in return. I don't feel like there is a future here and I will only last until I get a better opportunity with another company.

Encourage your employees through positive reinforcement not through punishment and intimidation. It's all about respect and management has none.

reviews filtered by

I am a driver working out of the Columbia, SC terminal

Current Employee - Tanker Driver in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Tanker Driver in Columbia, SC

I have been working at Tidewater Transit full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Herman, He keeps the trucks in good shape and always available for some witty advice.

Cons

DAK of Americas. $ 22.00 to load a trailer. $ 15.15 per hour after first two hours.
    14 hour work days. At TWT you work 14 hour days 6 days per week.
    Load two trailers before you leave. Usually 7 hours of work before you start driving.
    70 hours per week given to TWT. Pay certainly does not reflect 70 hours of work.
    Insurance is very expensive. Cannot afford to have insurance while working at TWT.
    The sleeping assistant mechanic. Tough pill to swallow while you required to work so hard.
    Safety department. They like to take your safety bonus money.
    Safety man has never driven a truck and knows it all! Likes to take working mans money.
    Cannot get more then 34 hours per week off.
    Work every weekend
    Time off very difficult to get because they cannot keep drivers.
    Dispatch- enough said

Practice what you preach.
    Try working one 70 hour week.
    Try working one weekend.
    Work past 3:30. Drivers day half over and management leaving with grin on his face.
    Go to bat for the driver. Need to go to percentage like other terminals.

2. Better than most.

Current Employee - Tanker Driver in Savannah, GA
    Current Employee - Tanker Driver in Savannah, GA

I have been working at Tidewater Transit

Pros

If one wants to work they usually have it. I have made more money here than any other job, but it's mostly due to the fact that I work more than most others. Some terminals have mileage pay while others have percentage. Percentage is better. Management big on safety because we haul deadly stuff. Generally good place to work.

Cons

Benefits could be better. Health ins. not good and way too expensive for what one gets. Cost me $580 monthly for family coverage for bad plans. Holiday pay is only $50 and no sick/personal days. I think pay should be more per trip due to the high risk we take handling such dangerous product.

Keep up the good work. However, I think it is reasonable to offer better benefits. I have compared ours with some of our major competitors and theirs are much better. Almost better enough to make me think twice if I was to be offered a job with them.

There are newer employer reviews for Tidewater Transit