There are newer employer reviews for TigerDirect Canada

Unprofessional company in dying industry

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I have been working at TigerDirect Canada

Pros

Company is undergoing a transformation from a very toxic culture very poor legacy management. There is opportunity for someone that is a knowledge worker - standing out and getting ahead is not very difficult.

Cons

The culture is rather inflexible and there is not much employee support or communication. There was toxic management in place which led to a lot of unethical behavior and theft from the company. Even though this exec management team was displaced, many mid managers still exist that were connected to some of the unethical behavior. The workforce and talent is rather scarce and can be frustrating for a high performer. There is a general lack of professionalism and not much collaboration throughout the company. Performance management operates from a more traditional "methods management" approach vs. results oriented.

- Clean house with all mid management and hire all new management externally
- Poach talent from competition (Amazon, NuEgg, etc.)
- Provide training and set stretch goals for managers
- Provide more flexibility for employees -- better mobile capability, etc.

30 Other Employee Reviews for TigerDirect Canada (View Most Recent)

There for a little over six months and that was six months too long

Former Employee - Account Manager in Naperville, IL
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Naperville, IL

I worked at TigerDirect Canada

Pros

It was Monday thru Friday so at least you didn't have to work weekends.

Cons

Where do I start? The place will basically hire you if you have any sales experience at all and they know that of the 10 people they bring on, 9 will be gone within 6 months or less.
    The firings seem to be random. Some reps have terrible numbers yet still keep their job and then they let go a rep who was doing pretty well but had a bad couple of weeks. Odd.
    A few of the managers were OK but a few of them had horrible people skills. How they became managers is beyond me.
    Also, the B2B segment of the company is not very important to the suits. The website is what they care about. Very little room to move up. Just kind of an odd place.
    The training was a joke. 2 weeks of complete nothing. Sadly, towards the end of my tenure I started envying the people in the sessions. At least they didn't have to listen to the crap.
    The senior reps somehow have a sense of arrogance about them. Not sure why. Any good accounts a rep that leaves or is fired had goes directly to them. YOU are NOT going to get good leads. Everything is cold call. They give you a list of like 100 "leads" at the beginning and they are all garbage.
    They bold faced LIED during the interview process about salary and when you were eligible for PTO or vacation. You don't even get paid for a freaking holiday until you've been there 90 days?!!! That's the first job I've ever had where that was the rule. Nothing mentioned about that in the interview. I should've known as it was an unsolicited call from Career Builder. I was unemployed at the time and needed a job. They were looking for heads.
    You start out at 30K with a paltry commission and then at six months or something they drop you to half that and a higher commission but you have to have huge numbers just to get back to what you were getting per paycheck at 30K. No choice. That's contrary to what they told me (and a few other new hires with me) in the interview! We were told we would have a "choice". Not the case.
    I tried my best and did pretty well the first 4 months I was there but the demoralizing air of the place just weighed me down and it showed in my work. It's hard to sell when you're miserable. I was fired and to be honest, I was relieved. Got a new job a few weeks later and can't believe I actually wasted six months of my life there.

Give your reps some leads. Actually just shut the department down. You're worthless.

A place that only looks after the senior reps and is full of false hopes and miscnceptions

Former Employee - Sales in Naperville, IL
    Former Employee - Sales in Naperville, IL

I worked at TigerDirect Canada

Pros

Loved the customers and the fellow co-workers. Hard work to develop the right relationships but it pays off in the end. Great place to learn. But...... I WOULD NOT RECOMEND this place to anyone.

Cons

Watch out!! It's all about the numbers baby! All your hard work bringing in new accounts is not appreciated if you don't have the numbers. There is only one thing they look at, numbers. When there are other values a sales rep brings to the table. Had over $1.1 million in sales YTD, but.... missed one too many pay periods. Watch for ever increasing quotas until you can't do it any more than BAM! Your out the door. Very inconsistent in the termination process. Many reps let go for under performance while a select few can miss their numbers constantly and still keep their job. Some reps receive multiple third warnings before the final,and still have their job. It's a "Throw them on the wall, and see who sticks" mentality. Except for the special reps. Absolutely zero coaching from the managers. And if you do create a nice account...poof. Its gone and a senior rep has it the next day.

Be more consistent in the termination process. I thought rule was at least two warnings in a row before the final. i got one. I guess the coach can choose to only hand out the one than the final. hold the coaches just as accountable as you hold the reps. And stop giving out multiple third warnings. It creates false expectations for the other reps.

There are newer employer reviews for TigerDirect Canada