There are newer employer reviews for Tilt.com

Brilliant people, Brilliant product, Awesome place to work.

Former Employee - Front End Engineer in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Front End Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Tilt.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My experience at Crowdtilt was that of a very strong positive culture. Its more like being part of a family than a business. The synergy from this culture drives business decisions and organizational practices. Every team member is highly valued and equally compensated.

The benefits are great. They have catered lunch and dinner which is always super healthy and helps cut personal expenses. During my time there they had a Masseuse come in once a month and give everyone massages to straighten out posture. They also had weekly Yoga classes at the office.

Speaking from an engineers point of view. Their engineering team is very strong and has strong leadership. The engineering culture promotes risk taking and fosters innovation. The engineering team was very collaborative and always helping each other grow and learn as one entity.

I eventually left Crowdtilt to found another company with a group of colleagues It was a very hard decision because of the family dynamic I touched on above. I still keep in contact with the Crowdtilt team and they invite me to their events.

Cons

Part of the reason I left is because there was no clear cultural stance on remote work. I needed schedule flexibility to deal with some personal growth outside office hours. This was readily available at my next venture.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

An amazing place to push the envelope of crowdfunding, with an incredibly passionate, dedicated, and talented team.

Current Employee - Growth Team in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Growth Team in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Tilt.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone you work with here is so incredibly humble, talented, hardworking and passionate. This is true from developers to non-technical members -- and it's incredibly rare to find this humble and inspiring of a culture! The leaders have a huge vision, and every day you can see the lives we're touching and the ways we're breaking down the boundaries of crowdfunding for everyone. From helping the world raise $129,000 in 3 days to send the Jamaican Bobsled Team to Sochi, to helping college students do more together in terms of late-night tailgates, parties and outings, it's a truly priceless experience. Even in the most stressful times it doesn't really feel like work -- there's such a great support system, synergy between team members, and passion for what we do.

In terms of benefits, we get lots of flexibility: free vacation hours, no set schedule, hackations (an innovation idea where you can go anywhere in the world to "hack" on a highly-focused project, and the company will pay for lodging during your stay), the best snacks (!), two round-trip tickets to anywhere in the world when you reach your 1-year anniversary, and more.

Cons

- We get catered lunch and dinner. ..This is mostly a pro but it can make it kind of hard to keep a diet. (http://instagram.com/crowdtilt)
    - Like all startups, it can be stressful. Tight deadlines, juggling lots of projects, and extremely high expectations for the product that we deliver to our users. But the silver lining is the comraderie, satisfaction of being part of a great product, and how much closer you get to your colleagues through this.

2. Inspiring mission. Amazing people. Lots of opportunity.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Tilt.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People -- the company is all about the people. The company and product mission to “power the collective creation of the world” is a deep one, and it’s embedded in the team interactions; whether it be renting a weekend boat on the bay, napa trip with (a bunch) of colleagues, tilting yoga classes in the office, young leaders and teams leading big parts of the business...you name it. It’s the strongest team and strongest team collaboration mindset I’ve ever worked in.
    For engineers, Tilt is unique in the sense that engineers make up roughly half of the ~70 person company which creates a big focus on the engineering and productivity culture. We’re shipping constantly, moving much faster than my previous company. Engineers who want to build their own brand are encouraged to speak at/attend conferences, write blog posts, host panels/meetus/tech-talks at the office, etc.

Being able to work with smart, entrepreneurial team members who care about the world around them makes for a motivating and exciting energy.

Cons

The company began to grow quickly from ~35 to ~70 in the last year, and experienced some growing pains as a result. We’ve implemented performance reviews in the last 6 months and lost some team members as a result, which is always tough.

Sometimes deadlines are unrealistic or things change on the fly within a spec causing hard work to go for naught. While this is expected in a startup and everyone experiences this across the org I imagine, it’s still something I’d like to see improve.

We made some really bad hires at various points in the company in my opinion. Not trying to be too negative since I’m sure there were factors in the decision at the time. But that’s my opinion. They are luckily no longer here, but people are still cleaning up some of the codebase from early team-members that management probably shouldn’t have hired.

Advice to Management

Continue to foster a great collaborative environment. Hold a high bar on the best people that adhere to the core values. Harp on the core values more and more. And all said, keep doing what you’re doing.