Great store, Horrible Managment

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Woodbury, NY
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Woodbury, NY

I have been working at Timberland

Pros

The selection is great! The discount is good , Its awesome to hear peoples traveling stories since we are an outdoors company you always have people telling you about their hiking trips and what not and always get questions on what types of shoes are appropriate for the occasion. Its a fun learning environment. Once you know the pros and cons to every shoe, you get into the job and sometimes get regular customers thanking you for your recommendations. The staff I worked with felt more like a family. And sometimes when the people from cooperate come and visit they remember you... Idk if they actually do without asking the store manager... but it feels good

Cons

low hours
low pay
Crummy Management.. . There is no communication from our store management team.
Lack of motivation from store management
No promotions $.12 raises if anything

Advice to Management

Stop hiring outside management to fill in and start looking into promoting people within the store who have been there for a while and know a thing or 2 about the products.

reviews filtered by

Sales Associate-Timberland

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Garden City, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Garden City, NY

I have been working at Timberland

Pros

Great people, great company, extremely easy work. I've been with the company for nearly two years now, and I love it. Great interaction with customers, always get good feedback both from my boss and from customers.

Cons

Takes a while to move up...it's easier to be promoted because somebody quit or got terminated than if you work hard. Most members of the management team, save for one, are incompetent. They spend the entire shift on their cell phones or on the job phone rather than working, which is annoying. Sales associates do the bulk of the work; cleaning, stock, shipment, counting things around the store to make sure nothing is missing, while management simply counts the money.

A lot of things to remember, such as product knowledge, store goals, the mission statement, etc (which wasn't a big deal to me because I'm not lazy, but the rest of the staff seems to struggle with it).

One person usually gets stuck doing all the work, while the others do nothing. Corporate visits are intimidating.

Advice to Management

Management definitely needs to be a little bit more aware of who they hire, and give appropriate recognition to those who deserve it. Can't complain about a bad management team if you hire people who don't do their jobs and then refuse to replace them. We need to have meetings more often; having a meeting once a quarter isn't enough.

Great Brand but the company is run as if it was a social charity

Current Employee - Director in Stratham, NH
    Current Employee - Director in Stratham, NH

I have been working at Timberland

Pros

It has a great brand presence and awareness. It's icon products - Yellow boots, handsewn boat shoes - are good looking and good quality. If you want to have a social concious this is the place to work. They give a week per year to do community service and have multiple events per year to put the time to use. They pay well and have good benefits. If you want to work for a company that is highly respected for it's activities, TBL is it. The new products are good quality but the designs may not be the most desired. The people working here are treated with respect and generally valued for their work and ideas.

Cons

The company is pushing environmental issues before they are able to make it work consistantly. It has marketing based on these issues and it is not ready to execute it. Leather shoes are not an environmentally friendly product. The company did not understand that the yellow boots were a fashion fad, they made a lot of money on them when they were hot. They were not able to invest that money in the next trend. They tried to find new products and companies but could not get any that would ofset the loss of sales when the boot fad ended. It will be a low growth company for a long time to come. Although the Smartwool division is having good growth. If a company can't grow revenue the have to cut costs to increase margin. That's what is happening now. It is a company of smart motivated people but the vision and correct direction is not there

Advice to Management

It does not work to have two different goals for a company. If it is to make money then focus on that, if it is to be a social and environmental activitist, then do that. Can't be both. The CEO needs to run a NGO and let a professional manager run the company. He is a great motivational speaker but has the wrong message. People in the company follow the social ideas and forget the purpose of the company is to make shoes and clothing to sell for a profit.