There are newer employer reviews for Time Warner Cable

Good place to get technical experience with good benefits.

Current Employee - Engineer in Austin, TX
Current Employee - Engineer in Austin, TX

Pros

The working culture really depends on your area / department but overall it's a relaxed friendly environment. Compensation and benefits are probably up with the best in the industry. Access to technical resources is good. If you want to sit in a box for 5 years and get paid for doing the bare minimum you can, but you can also learn a lot technically if you choose to.

Cons

The historical cable company mentality is still present with the majority of field techs. There is a huge us and them attitude problems between field engineering and any other department. This has transposed to other departments too. There is a reluctance to accept responsibility for mistakes as historically this has lead to severe punishments. This causes a lot of buck passing and cover-up that adds a lot of delay to fault resolution. The first time i made a mistake, owned up to it and suggested ways to resolve it and prevent it from happening again I received 15 email warning me to be careful admitting i was at fault. I ignored this and still continue to be open and honest. It may well have hurt my chances for advancement internally but I still have a soul. The "old boys" network is still present in senior management and accountability especially in the sale side. Sales folks are given very little training and expected to perform. This leads to massive sales churn and the selling of one-off, unsupportable solutions.

Advice to Management

Stop employing people that have failed at VP level in other companies. Train sales staff. Let Engineering drive product development. Actually reward honestly and integrity. Talk openly and honestly about the known historical cable culture if you ever want to change it.

Other Employee Reviews for Time Warner Cable

If you want to work for idiots...

Current Employee - Inbound Sales Representative in College Point, NY
    Current Employee - Inbound Sales Representative in College Point, NY

Pros

Great co-workers, great benefits. Period.

Cons

Horrible management, poor pay structure, lack of communication, support, etc.

Advice to Management

Quit treating your employees like they are just numbers or letters in blac and white. WE ARE PEOPLE. All the changes are frustrating and NONE of your sales staff is happy. How do you expect us to successfully sell your products when we're not happy AT ALL with the way we're being managed? Also, stop bring people from outside of the company in and giving them the green light to do whatever they want. Horrible.

Good Honest Work

Former Employee - Installaler in Findlay, OH
    Former Employee - Installaler in Findlay, OH

Pros

Great Benifits, 401k, personal ,sick, vacation ,holidays. Good equipment and tools to work with. Uniforms provided including a work boot allowance. Decent pay including during a 5 week training period. Time Warner does spend alot of time and money on cutting edge tech stuff. Was nice to work somewhere that had the latest things for a customer. Made you proud after a good install when the customers were happy with the result. That also reflects on the installer. There is room to work your way up also. You start as an installer, but later if your good you may get service repair training. The more you learn about the cable industry the better an installer or repair tech you become. That makes you worth more on payday.

Cons

Sometimes you work overtime. Depending on your normal work day after 10 or 11 hours you do want to go home, but sometimes have to work until the jobs are finished. You get paid the overtime but if you have kids or somewhere else to be after work it might not be a job for you. Sometimes a bad apple slips in also, and you have to work with a tech on your crew thats only there for a paycheck and has the customer service skill of a piece of toast. But most of the people I worked with were quick to help you if you asked , and sometimes if they were caught up on work would call you to see if you needed help. I have worked for Time Warner in 2 different states, 3 different offices. And I will say that as a company it was pretty consistent. I would recommend working there.

Advice to Management

I know its hard to schedule jobs, not always knowing how long they will take, or if the people might reschedule etc. But since I left the cable world, I have noticed a stigma alot of people have about the cable guy not showing up, or the 8-5 window appnt. I know better why appt times are like they are, and I understand, but alot of people (customers) dont. Maybe send out a flyer with their bill or something with a friendly quick explaination or walk through on what it takes to get an appnt and why sometimes a tech might be late or not. The extra pressure on a tech to get to the next job may sacrifice quality on the job he is already at. Thats not fair to the customer, or the technician. Some people take a day off of work, or dont schedule other things when they think we were comming, and if we are late or cant make it, it really peeves people. I dont blame them and like I said I see both sides of that coin. Just a suggestion.