There are newer employer reviews for Time Warner

No longer Paradise

Current Employee - Editor in New York, NY
Current Employee - Editor in New York, NY

I have been working at Time Warner

Pros

It has a fabulous reputation, and it has the highest standards--at least in the magazine business where I work. If you can make it there, you can make it anywhere.

Cons

In the magazine division, there is a definite lack of investment and interest by top management. We have seen layoff after layoff, and people are worried all the time that our department will be axed as have several others in recent years. The top management acts as though magazines are so yesterday, and maybe they are, but, there'll always be a big business there, with millions to earn. And it's hard to work in a climate where the predominant strategy is disinvestment.
Also, we never hear from top management, have no idea where we fit in, what the strategy is, or whether we will be sold to another company.
I was here before and then returned recently to work here, and it is sad to find how few resources now are being devoted to real journalism, which is what I am here to do. Everything has to be done on the cheap. It's no longer Paradise.

You have to spend money to make money. So spend a little. For example, you'll never get good advertisers in magazines when you downgrade the paper and make their ads look like crap.

125 Other Employee Reviews for Time Warner (View Most Recent)

Ok place to work if you like killing time

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Time Warner

Pros

TW pays well and gives plenty of days off. plus the work is really easy and you have plenty of free time.

Cons

ugggh. I had full weeks where I had nothing to do. I seriously came into work and killed the whole day. gets boring really fast. Management has no clue about work loads. They kept hiring more people, even though there wasn't more work to be done. No feedback form management either or room for growth. Middle managers

Try doing your employees jobs. Share some responsibility with them. Middle managers have a ton to do and do not want to share their job responsibilities with their employees (for job security?)

Time Warner is a good company that used to be great

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at Time Warner

Pros

As far as big media companies go, Time Warner remains at the top for a reason.....The benefits package is hard to beat. Generous vacation, pension plan and an incredibly diverse employee pool are also advantages. Work/Life balance is a constant and ongoing discussion and employee perks can be accessed for those willing to look into it.

Cons

In this time of budget cuts and hiring freezes, there is a nervousness about working in print and publishing in general. With the downward slope of the economy and massive layoffs, the morale in the company has dipped as well. Not much has been done to boost the morale and the retention of employees, which used to be at the forefront of this company's attention, has dipped considerably. And as a result of layoffs and hiring freezes, many people are doing the work of two or even three employees. Many are overworked and are more likely to look elsewhere for equal or better pay at a lesser company.

While Time Warner still pays close attention to their employees Work/Life Balance, providing on-site pilates classes, guitar lessons and basic counseling as well as access to tickets to performances and free access to most museums in the city, many employees are unable to access these perks because they are working more than they should. Jobs have been cut and not replaced and people are starting to feel underappreciated. Time Warner used to be a company that made great efforts to keep their employees happy and also keep them around for life. In the last four years, Time Warner has been lacking in this department.

There are newer employer reviews for Time Warner