There are newer employer reviews for Timegate Studios

Nothing nice to say. :(

I have been working at Timegate Studios

Pros

* Opportunities to pick up a lot of skills very quickly. (As a result of getting thrust into a bunch of different roles without much say in the matter.)
* Able to work with interesting (and young) people.
* Free drinks and 'free' dinner when you work an extra two hours each night.

Cons

* Management and process overload. Upper management is so convinced in the necessity for 'process' and 'protocol' that they can't see when it doesn't work and why it breaks down so easily.
* Asinine minutiae: I've actually been yelled at for using a '/' instead of a '-' when typing a date out. Our corporate parent is some tight-assed healthcare company which burns through employees faster than we do, so we get a lot of our straight-laced nonsense from them.
* Involuntary voluntary overtime - they can't *force* us to work 9a-9p, but the messaging is very clear: If you're not here, you're lazy and we'll fire you the moment we can.
* Sycophants get ahead by filling seats, brown nosing with the bosses, and shadowing them.
* God help you if you want to change anything. There's a very strong 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' mentality despite upper management's 'claims' of striving for continuous improvement.
* The whole place feels like it's designed to churn through people like a machine. Get some kid fresh out of school, pay him an insulting salary, burn him out, then fire him and cite 'laziness' or 'a bad attitude'
* You work far more than you're compensated for. I've known people at other studios to do one fifth of what an AP or Concept Artists here does and get paid 1.5-2x as much.
* The production people who aren't senior look depressed every day and always have their heads down. it's depressing
* Morale is low and they try to buy us off with token 'employee of the month' programs where people get (and I wish I was kidding) nerf guns as prizes
* The company owners have a love affair with Blizzard's website and copy it whenever possible. Just open the new TimeGate site and Blizzard's home site in facing windows and see.

The single biggest piece of advice I can give to upper management is this: Take the power away from the brothers who run TimeGate and its parent company, Healix. They have no idea what makes a good game and they routinely run roughshod over anyone who speaks out and I've even heard they told the creative director 'Don't forget who signs your paychecks.' when he objected one of their particularly asinine 'requests.' (Design mandates, in other words.)

Also, it'd help to abandon the notion that TimeGate is a AAA studio. They aren't and they never will be. They're mid-grade at best and so long as they think they can make the next Halo or CoD, their products will always be rushed out, half-complete messes.

22 Other Employee Reviews for Timegate Studios (View Most Recent)

Overall Very Satisfied

Current Employee - Production in Sugar Land, TX
    Current Employee - Production in Sugar Land, TX

I have been working at Timegate Studios

Pros

laid-back atmosphere, top projects to work on.

Cons

time constraints can be pretty hectic.

Overall, the system works for me and glad I work here.

Worst Place I've Ever Worked

I have been working at Timegate Studios

Pros

- Skilled and pleasant coworkers. Despite all the negatives below I really enjoy working with the people there.
     - Cheap place to live
     - High turnover can mean more headroom for moving up.. it only takes 2 years here to be considered "senior," which may position you well for your next job (though it's a double edged sword.)
     - If you enjoy corporate gallows humor, you may find Timegate to be very entertaining

Cons

- Worst micromanagement you could ever imagine.
     - If management doesn't like your time estimates, they will replace it with one they like better. The same with any other facts you might have.
     - You will be asked to rename and move things incessantly because it's not exactly what management would have done. As any veteran knows, this causes things to break and burns a lot of development time. And of course it is your fault when it breaks.
     - Employees are heavily overworked: You will be asked to agree to doing a certain chunk of work over a period of time (currently 3 weeks.) However, not one day after this agreement you will get additional work and will continue to receive new work until the very last day of this time period, and when you don't complete the full load you agreed to, plus the many things that get assigned to you, you will be seen as a failure by management.
     - You will be judged by how much overtime you put in, not how much you accomplish
     - Interchangable parts were invented long ago. I think Timegate is trying to invent interchangable humans.
     - When any issue arises, emphasis (even obsession) is placed on finding who is at fault, rather than finding solutions. Shockingly, it is never management's fault.
     - Not getting yelled at is probably the highest praise you will ever receive here.
     - Low morale and high turnover rate. Timegate shows no loyalty to its people, so its little surprise when its people show little loyalty to Timegate.
     - You will find it very challenging to care about the quality of your work here.

The difference between Timegate and successful studios is this: Timegate is process driven and successful studios are people driven. Your process at its best can never be as good as the people you can hire. The only reason your process "works" is because at the end of the day, in spite of the process, the people are passionate enough to get the game out the door, and passionate enough to care about the quality of their work. This heavy process removes any sense of ownership or pride for your work and does not scale, because the process bottlenecks at a few specific micromanagers.

Also, please quit treating us like children. Layoffs and voluntary job changes are treated in such a clandestine way.. we know when someone is quitting probably before you do. And little certificates that you can use to win "prizes" cannot replace being genuinely appreciated. When coupled with all the abuse you put your employees though, it's like a slap in the face.

The way I see Timegate is as a stopover for fresh college graduates. You put in your time here for a year or two and then move to a different job that isn't terrible as quickly as you can.

There are newer employer reviews for Timegate Studios