Timegate Studios

www.timegate.com

Nothing nice to say. :(

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Sugar Land, TX

Pros* Opportunities to pick up a lot of skills very quickly. (As a result of getting thrust into a bunch of different roles without much say in the matter.)
* Able to work with interesting (and young) people.
* Free drinks and 'free' dinner when you work an extra two hours each night.

Cons* Management and process overload. Upper management is so convinced in the necessity for 'process' and 'protocol' that they can't see when it doesn't work and why it breaks down so easily.
* Asinine minutiae: I've actually been yelled at for using a '/' instead of a '-' when typing a date out. Our corporate parent is some tight-assed healthcare company which burns through employees faster than we do, so we get a lot of our straight-laced nonsense from them.
* Involuntary voluntary overtime - they can't *force* us to work 9a-9p, but the messaging is very clear: If you're not here, you're lazy and we'll fire you the moment we can.
* Sycophants get ahead by filling seats, brown nosing with the bosses, and shadowing them.
* God help you if you want to change anything. There's a very strong 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' mentality despite upper management's 'claims' of striving for continuous improvement.
* The whole place feels like it's designed to churn through people like a machine. Get some kid fresh out of school, pay him an insulting salary, burn him out, then fire him and cite 'laziness' or 'a bad attitude'
* You work far more than you're compensated for. I've known people at other studios to do one fifth of what an AP or Concept Artists here does and get paid 1.5-2x as much.
* The production people who aren't senior look depressed every day and always have their heads down. it's depressing
* Morale is low and they try to buy us off with token 'employee of the month' programs where people get (and I wish I was kidding) nerf guns as prizes
* The company owners have a love affair with Blizzard's website and copy it whenever possible. Just open the new TimeGate site and Blizzard's home site in facing windows and see.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe single biggest piece of advice I can give to upper management is this: Take the power away from the brothers who run TimeGate and its parent company, Healix. They have no idea what makes a good game and they routinely run roughshod over anyone who speaks out and I've even heard they told the creative director 'Don't forget who signs your paychecks.' when he objected one of their particularly asinine 'requests.' (Design mandates, in other words.)

Also, it'd help to abandon the notion that TimeGate is a AAA studio. They aren't and they never will be. They're mid-grade at best and so long as they think they can make the next Halo or CoD, their products will always be rushed out, half-complete messes.

Not a good place to be for long

3D Artist (Former Employee) Sugar Land, TX

I worked at Timegate Studios

Pros: -Work along side creative and passionate coworkers. -Laid back atmosphere amongst… Cons: -Low employee morale. -Poor salaries and benefits. Worst I've ever seen in the industry. -Over micromanagement. Way too many producers for such a small studio. On a… Advice to Senior Management: -Keep the owner out of the development process. The only thing he did was bring morale down and belittle others to increase his self esteem. -Trust… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Overall Very Satisfied

Production (Current Employee) Sugar Land, TX

I have been working at Timegate Studios

Pros: laid-back atmosphere, top projects to work on. Cons: time constraints can be pretty hectic. Advice to Senior Management: Overall, the system works for me and glad I work… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Timegate Studios.

Worked for Timegate Studios? Contribute to the Community!